high school student

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high school student

I'm a high school student interested in actuarial science. I have passed Exam P in this September through self-study, and I am now studying for Exam FM. Although I am interested in becoming an actuary, I don't really know what to expect out of the career. Also, can someone tell me what I'll be doing in college if I major in actuarial science? Hope it's not a too stupid question..

Originally posted by andrewabert
    I'm a high school student interested in actuarial science. I have passed Exam P in this September through self-study, and I am now studying for Exam FM. Although I am interested in becoming an actuary, I don't really know what to expect out of the career. Also, can someone tell me what I'll be doing in college if I major in actuarial science? Hope it's not a too stupid question..
    It's a very large question, so I'll try and provide the Cliffs' Notes version of it.

Good job in getting started with the exams! Personally, I didn't know what an actuary was until about my 3rd year in college. I didn't take Course 1 until right after I'd finished college. So, good start!

The career is annually in the top 5 rated jobs according to Jobs Almanac. It's not a very stressful job if you work for an insurance company, and there's very little labor work. Plus, if you like working with numbers, there's quite a few projects that one could work on, but most of those types of projects are reserved for those that are credentialed or at least near that point. In the beginning, you'll do a lot of data analysis and data organization. You'll become very familiar with Excel and other database programs/statistical analysis packages. You should be getting the benefits of an exam program from your company, where they give you raises when you pass actuarial exams and give you time during work to study for these exams.

As for college, I didn't go to a school with an actuarial science major, but I believe they cover most topics that are on the first 3-4 exams in the course of obtaining your bachelor's degree. You'll cover probability, financial mathematics, economics, finance, life contingencies, loss models, credibility, etc.

Comment

Working...
    X