Accounting & Math Major

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accounting & Math Major

I am currently a freshman in college, and I was considering double-majoring in Math and Accounting and minoring in Spanish. Will these majors/minors open up many actuarial jobs to me?

Originally posted by Cristi
    I am currently a freshman in college, and I was considering double-majoring in Math and Accounting and minoring in Spanish. Will these majors/minors open up many actuarial jobs to me?
    I'm guessing your college doesn't have actuarial science as an option. In any case, having a math major helps. Essentially, you can major in anything in college, as long as you're able to pass the actuarial exams. Most people major in something math-related because it helps to study subjects in formal classes (for the majority of people) than on their own. Accounting/math is a pretty good combination, though.

Since you're only a freshman, you probably haven't had too much calculus yet. Take the calculus sequence at your school, then take a calculus-based probability class (continuous probability). After that, you're on your way to being prepared to take the first actuarial exam.

Comment

Two majors and a minor?

I would say that having two majors and a minor is too much if you want to be an actuary. Passing exams must, absolutely must, be the priority.

Yours,
      Krzys'
      Want to know how to pass actuarial exams? Go to: smartURL.it/pass

Comment

Originally posted by devina
        I am a US citizen. I want to study India because I can’t afford my study expenses over US. If I have to study overseas like in India is it possible to get financial aid from US government over there? What is the other way for me to get their support? How can I continue my study over there? I have no idea about it. I really need you suggestion. Any helpful suggestion will be appreciated. Have a good day.
        This is a question that you should be asking government aid programs not so much actuaries. However just as a guess, I doubt it. Why would the US want to sponsor university payments overseas? It IS possible to do a semester abroad type programs but probably not your whole education...

I also don't see why you chose to put your question in this thread instead of starting a new one...

Comment

Originally posted by Cristi View Post

If you want to be an actuary, I'd recomend picking up all your VEE requirements in university. That may set you up for some kind math or stats major with econ or accounting minor.

http://www.soa.org/education/exam-req/edu-vee.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Heaven's Thunder Hammer View Post
            If you want to be an actuary, I'd recomend picking up all your VEE requirements in university. That may set you up for some kind math or stats major with econ or accounting minor.

http://www.soa.org/education/exam-req/edu-vee.aspx
            Look at the date of the post, it's been over 3 years, let's hope Cristi figured this out.

Comment

Originally posted by NoMoreExams View Post
              Look at the date of the post, it's been over 3 years, let's hope Cristi figured this out.

Whoops. I just assumed that the thread was current. No idea why that person from india bumped a 3yr old post.

Comment

Working...
              X