Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you guys come in and tell me more about Actuarial Science

Can you guys come in and tell me more about Actuarial Science

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there, I am a high school student and I am going to study community college in the U.S after this summer. I am interested in Math and solving problems. But I want to ask you guys some questions about Actuarial Science.

1. What should I study in Community College?
    2. What should I Study when I transfer to 4 year University?
    3. Which school is better for studying about Actuarial Science?
    4. When should I start writing the Exam 1 and 2?

Hope you guys can help me

Thanks

AvonT

Originally posted by AvonT
    Can you guys come in and tell me more about Actuarial Science

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there, I am a high school student and I am going to study community college in the U.S after this summer. I am interested in Math and solving problems. But I want to ask you guys some questions about Actuarial Science.

1. What should I study in Community College?
    2. What should I Study when I transfer to 4 year University?
    3. Which school is better for studying about Actuarial Science?
    4. When should I start writing the Exam 1 and 2?

Hope you guys can help me

Thanks

AvonT
    1. Actuarial science, as a whole, is math-intensive. You should be capable of understanding the sequence of calculus. If it doesn't come naturally at first, don't worry about it - just try harder and work at understanding the material. Other than calculus, I would advise taking a statistics class or two. Take basic ones, where you only learn the terms, not the calculus-based type of statistics classes. If possible, take a couple economics courses (microeconomics and macroeconomics).

2. Once you get to the 4-year university, this is when you can look into taking calculus-based probability and statistics. It should be available through the math department, under continuous probability or something similar. Also, look into taking a class in regression (which shows you how to look at data and pick a "model" for it, using statistics) and look at taking a corporate finance course or two. All the while, you'll have to do these while actually satisfying your college degree. Whatever you don't learn in classes, you can/will have to self-study.

3. If you go to www.soa.org and search under Education & Jobs, you'll find a listing of actuarial colleges in North America. If you don't live in North America, you'll have to do a little searching on your own. In Canada, I've heard that Toronto and Waterloo are among the better actuarial schools. In the US, I've heard good things about Iowa, Illinois (State?) and Georgia State.

4. You can sit for Exam P (1) or FM (2) at any time. Pick up a manual or a text covering these topics whenever you can/have the money to, and begin studying at your leisure. It's never too early to start - I know of at least one person in high school who has passed the first two exams and is studying for the third. Don't be afraid of studying on your own.

Comment

Thanks wat, your information is very helpful for me. Do you have Msn or ICQ?

If you have it, can you give me?

How can I study EXAM 1 and 2 by myself? Can i buy any books in bookk store??
      What should i buy??

I am a high school student too!!^^"

Keep in touch!

Comment

Originally posted by AvonT
        Thanks wat, your information is very helpful for me. Do you have Msn or ICQ?

If you have it, can you give me?

How can I study EXAM 1 and 2 by myself? Can i buy any books in bookk store??
        What should i buy??

I am a high school student too!!^^"

Keep in touch!
        You can always PM me on this site - I probably will get back to you sooner on this site than I would with the messaging systems on my own computer.

Check out www.soa.org. Under Education/Jobs, there should be a link for the Spring Exam Sitting. That's the tests that will be taking place in May 2005. Registration is over for those exams, but browse a little bit - you'll see what the SOA (Society of Actuaries) recommends for you to read in order to learn the material for Exam P/1 on your own.

I'll plug Dr. Ostazsewski's manual here. He is the author of the ASM manual for the first exam. He writes and explains very well (as far as I've seen on this site), so I would figure his manual to be very helpful. Before you knock the use of a manual to help you learn instead of learning from the texts, keep in mind that the actuarial exams are difficult - far more difficult than any text you've taken in school so far. (Unless you've taken the International Math Olympiad. Then the story changes.) It will help to see the types of questions that the SOA asks on their exams. You will only have 3 hours to complete the first exam, and although 3 hours sounds like way more than enough time, you will understand why 3 hours is "short" when you begin studying for the exam.

The next available test is in September - if you're serious about attempting the exam, you can get started now. I would start with picking up a calculus book and studying from there. If you need help, ask your instructors or us on this site.

Good luck.

Comment

ok then, thx for your help, i will PM you soon

Comment

the best actuarial teacher at georgia state is about to retire. the other instructors all have impressive resumes, but are just okay at teaching.

Comment

Working...
            X