Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get started?

Hi,

Well am from Tanzania East Africa,now am at University going 2nd year.
    I happened to get informed about actuary some time back,I got excited and wanted to study it as a professional.

But in my country and neighbouring country,actuary is not known and heard there is no place i can start enroll to learn it.Unless i go abroad.

I would really like to start studying it,and even do the exams while am pursuing my degree in Bsc.ICTM.Can anyone help on how i can get started please??

The first exam is probability which you can probably study at the University or certainly get some books to study on your own. You may have to travel outside of the country to take your exams so make sure you are really prepared before you register. Logistically, it may be more difficult for you than most but it is certainly possible. You can take Exam P in Kenya (information below). For more locations, check out the test sites link at http://www.prometric.com

Test Sites Address
    Schedule Appointment NAIROBI, KENYA L1
    NAIROBI, KEN
    Phone: +254-20-4448860
    Site Code: 8282 FRISE HOLDINGS
    3RD FLOOR ABC BANK HOUSE

Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by Trojan_Horse
      The first exam is probability which you can probably study at the University or certainly get some books to study on your own. You may have to travel outside of the country to take your exams so make sure you are really prepared before you register. Logistically, it may be more difficult for you than most but it is certainly possible. You can take Exam P in Kenya (information below). For more locations, check out the test sites link at http://www.prometric.com

Test Sites Address
      Schedule Appointment NAIROBI, KENYA L1
      NAIROBI, KEN
      Phone: +254-20-4448860
      Site Code: 8282 FRISE HOLDINGS
      3RD FLOOR ABC BANK HOUSE

Hope this helps!
      Hi, thanks for that information

Well can you tell me more about other exams, and how to climb the ladder till to be a full actuarist please.

Comment

Originally posted by Taty
        Hi, thanks for that information

Well can you tell me more about other exams, and how to climb the ladder till to be a full actuarist please.
        This is a real pet peeve of mine. Actuarist is not a word. If you write you want to be an actuarist, I doubt anyone would hire you. You also don't want to be an actuarial or an actuarialist.

Actuary is the noun for of the job.
        Actuaries is the plural form of the noun.
        Actuarial is the adjective.
        I want to be an actuary. XXX hires many actuaries. I would like to do actuarial work.

Sorry about the tangent. The first step to becoming an actuary is to pass an exam. The syllabus for exams along with their text books are at http://www.soa.org/ccm/content/?categoryID=214009 There is very useful information at http://www.beanactuary.org/ If you have questions not answered on these sites, don't be afraid to ask.
        Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken
          This is a real pet peeve of mine. Actuarist is not a word. If you write you want to be an actuarist, I doubt anyone would hire you. You also don't want to be an actuarial or an actuarialist.

Actuary is the noun for of the job.
          Actuaries is the plural form of the noun.
          Actuarial is the adjective.
          I want to be an actuary. XXX hires many actuaries. I would like to do actuarial work.

Sorry about the tangent. The first step to becoming an actuary is to pass an exam. The syllabus for exams along with their text books are at http://www.soa.org/ccm/content/?categoryID=214009 There is very useful information at http://www.beanactuary.org/ If you have questions not answered on these sites, don't be afraid to ask.
          Thanks Ken for the explanation.

Well gonna check out those links.But have already check some site about actuary,all provide information which are relevant for those in their geographical region. Thats why i started this post,how for me to get started as am in East Africa now?

Comment

just buy books and study

This course is not very difficult but it needs you to give it your all.Its demanding that I know for sure but not impossible.All I can say is man if you really need this Qualification just buy the books and study .You have an advantage already you are in school since you are in Tanzania I already know you are not working.The school curriculum does not allow you to go to school while you work.Remember this some people here in the States work 6 days a week (40- 50hrs) a week but they still find time to study for their exams.Find other people who can study with you. Ask your professors they might want to offer you extra lessons(you might have to pay for those).Better still ask them if they can offer a degree program in actuarial science.
            Good Luck
            Peemsam

Comment

Originally posted by peemsam
              This course is not very difficult but it needs you to give it your all.Its demanding that I know for sure but not impossible.All I can say is man if you really need this Qualification just buy the books and study .You have an advantage already you are in school since you are in Tanzania I already know you are not working.The school curriculum does not allow you to go to school while you work.Remember this some people here in the States work 6 days a week (40- 50hrs) a week but they still find time to study for their exams.Find other people who can study with you. Ask your professors they might want to offer you extra lessons(you might have to pay for those).Better still ask them if they can offer a degree program in actuarial science.
              Good Luck
              Peemsam
              Well Peemsam,
              Thanks for your encouragement word.Well what you have said its true about here.And am glad that you understand that,have been in Tanzania??Have/Are you studying acturial??
              Well that was actually my targret to start studying it now as am in school.
              Well,this coming holiday am gonna think clearly how to go about it,coz as i did find it difficult to start studying acturial science(due to circumstances here) was determing to start doing CPA.
              So far the institutions that have asked they don't offer a degree in acturial science.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken
                I like the actuarialization techniques that some actuarians utilize.
                "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Comment

good luck with you actuarialization career taty!
                  Conquerering Lion

Comment

Originally posted by benedict
                    good luck with you actuarialization career taty!
                    So what can be a first step for a person wanting to start study on his own?
                    Are there any sites offering the materials for beginners?

Comment

So what can be a first step for a person wanting to start study on his own?
                      Are there any sites offering the materials for beginners?
                      www.actexmadriver.com
                      "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Blues
                        Thanks for the information will check it out.

Comment

Thanks for the information will check it out.
                          Get the Risk Management book and once you learn that material, download the sample test (from www.beanactuary.org). If you can work all of those problems, you can pass the first exam.

Comment

Working...
                          X