Seeking Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Information

I have been a math teacher for eleven years and am looking to become an actuary. I am not sure what field of study I should go into. Any advise?

exam

A math teacher? must mean you already have a math degree, which is a good start.
    I'd take the preliminary exams to start... exm P is the first...

Comment

First 4 exams are jointly offered by both the SOA and CAS so you don't have to make a decision until you're done with those or you've found a job.
      Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

Seeking Information

I am studying for the first four exams, but how do I know which field will be best for me to pursue? I have been reading "Actuaries' Survival Guide: How to Succeed in one of the most desirable professions", but I still am not sure which will suite me best CAS or SOA?

Comment

Originally posted by bkayser
          I am studying for the first four exams, but how do I know which field will be best for me to pursue? I have been reading "Actuaries' Survival Guide: How to Succeed in one of the most desirable professions", but I still am not sure which will suite me best CAS or SOA?
          You won't necessarily have to decide which is right for you yet. Like Ken said, the first 4 tests (for the most part) are jointly offered by both societies. Considering that only the exceptional candidates manage to make it through the first four exams without failing once (and this is taking one at a time), you'll have a couple years to get experience and learn more about the profession. By the time you've passed the 3rd and 4th exams, you'll have a much better idea of how the profession works and what type of work you'd like to do.

Comment

Originally posted by bkayser
            For me, it comes down to this: do you like things that are stable and predictable, or do you like things that are unstable and harder to predict? Do you like having a format to guide you through most things, or not? If you like stability, predictability, and structure, you're probably better suited for SOA. If you don't (like me), you're probably better suited for CAS.

I know that's a really poor way to describe the difference and there will probably be others here who disagree with my view, but that's how I looked at the difference - and that's why I chose the CAS route.
            "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Comment

Seeking Information

Thank you, Irish Blues. That was the kind of clarification I needed.

I currently am still teaching and plan on teaching until I finish the first two exams (minimum). I am hoping to pass the first four before putting my resume out. Do you think that wise, or should I put my resume out after I pass the first two exams?

One more question, does a Psychology degree help in any way for actuary fields. I happen to have BAs in both Math and Psych.

Comment

Working...
              X