Need help with deciding major and school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with deciding major and school

Hi, I am currently attending a community college. For now, my major is Bussiness-finance but it may change depending on the replies that I get.... So please respond with care!!!

Right now I am very confused because there is no one that can help me. I don't know any actuaries and only heard things against about being an actuary. But I have strong confidence that this is what I want to do through the rest of my life.

My questions are, what do you think is the best major that can a student pursue to become an actuary? Do you know any good universities that provide those programs? (perhaps, in Illinois)

And one last question, I am currently studying for the exam FM for this coming November. (I coudn't take exam P because of the deadline) Do you think I will be able to get an intership while I am still in a community college?

Thank you so much for your time!! I love you alll!!

Advice for becoming an actuary

The largest program in Illinois is at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign, where the program director is Rick Gorvett. The second largest is at Illinois State University, which is located in Normal (effectively that part of Bloomington, where the university is located) -- I am the program director at Illinois State, and you can easily contact me through this forum, or send an e-mail to: [email protected]. There are also smaller programs at DePaul and Roosevelt in Chicago. If I am missing some place, I apologize, please correct me. You can find complete listing of university actuarial programs at www.beanactuary.org.

There is only one and one only bad thing about becoming an actuary: exams are very, very, very hard, and the job is challenging intellectually. Otherwise there is no downside, so if anyone tells you otherwise, disregard their careless remarks about profession that consistently ranks among the top three jobs to have. So here comes the bad part: if you want to make it in this profession, you should love mathematics, love business, and preferably be in the top 5% of population in mathematical skills, and top 20% in overall skills. That's how I see it. If you do not have that high level of skills, you will struggle with painful exams and you may quit. As I understand, only about 17% of people who start taking actuarial exams eventually finish all of them.

If you want to talk more, please post here, e-mail me, or give me a call. This is a fantastic profession, just very hard.

Yours,
    Krzys'
    Want to know how to pass actuarial exams? Go to: smartURL.it/pass

Comment

Originally posted by krzysio

There is only one and one only bad thing about becoming an actuary: exams are very, very, very hard, and the job is challenging intellectually.

I would consider intellectually challenging job a good thing. I've worked at a boring job, and I know that that is not what I want to do.
      Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

Hello,
        I am dooum and happy to be at this forum. I love math and finance classes and think about becoming an actuary. However, I have a lot trouble to hear and understand people( speech) because of auditory neuropathy(sensorino-hearing loss). By the way, I would like to have your advice or your experience above that.
        Thank a lot

Comment

Hello,
          I am dooum and happy to be at this forum. I love math and finance classes and think about becoming an actuary. However, I have a lot trouble to hear and understand people( speech) because of auditory neuropathy(sensorino-hearing loss). By the way, I would like to have your advice or your experience above that.
          Thank a lot

Comment

Working...
          X