Best Universities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Universities?

in America it is known that UPenn is the best in Actuarial science.

but in Australia, and UK I have only a rough idea.

Does anyone know about the rankings of each uni in Australia and UK?

Australia : Melbourne, UNSW, MacQuarie, Australian National University

UK : LSE, Herriot Watt, Edinburgh, Uni Kent in Canterbury, Uni of Wales in Swansea, City Uni London..

Thanks.

Originally posted by Anthony
    in America it is known that UPenn is the best in Actuarial science.
    Is that known?
    act justly. walk humbly. .

Comment

By UPenn, you mean Wharton? Good B-school. Not so much actuarial science.
      Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

Best schools

Originally posted by Ken
        By UPenn, you mean Wharton? Good B-school. Not so much actuarial science.
        There is an actuarial science program at Wharton, but it is debatable whether it is the best one in the U.S. In rankings I have seen, Wharton is consistently ranked as No. 1 in insurance, with Georgia State typically being number 2 in that area. Georgia State used to be considered number 1 in actuarial science, but in my opinion this is debatable since Bob Batten retired from there. Not that Georgia State is bad, but from a perspective of a student, Batten has been amazing in preparing students for exams (I am hoping to do the same for my students). There is a listing of college programs at the SOA web site, and it qualifies them by depth of their coverage. Here are the only programs in the U.S. that are listed as most advanced at both undergraduate and graduate level:

Boston University
        University of Central Florida
        Florida State University
        Georgia State University
        University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
        Illinois State University
        University of Iowa
        Middle Tennessee State University
        Pennsylvania State University
        Temple University
        Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
        University of Wisconsin-Madison

There are also quite a lot of listings in Canada and worldwide. I direct the program at Illinois State. I would love to say that we are best, but there are really no objective measures, and I know that some of the schools listed above are tough competitors. Our program does not offer a Ph.D., only a Master degree (and a Bachelor degree, of course). In terms of production of Ph.D.'s in actuarial science, I believe Wisconsin-Madison, Iowa and Georgia State are the leaders. In terms of the number of undergraduate students, I believe Illinois is the largest. I find the absence of Michigan, Nebraska, Drake and Connecticut on this list surprising, but this may be a result of those three not having graduate offerings. If you have questions about Illinois State, please do let me know.

Yours,
        Krzys' Ostaszewski
        Last edited by krzysio; December 14 2005, 08:37 PM.
        Want to know how to pass actuarial exams? Go to: smartURL.it/pass

Comment

I don't know whether we have a Ph.D. program here at Michigan, but we definately have graduate students in Masters programs.
          Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

It seems to me -- though I have no experience at all at this point -- that the most important thing is passing the exams and demonstrating the capability to become an actuary, rather than to have a degree in actuarial science. I go to school at Stony Brook, and we have had quite a few alumni from the applied math dept. go to work for some of the big companies in the city, e.g., NY Life, Metlife, and so on, though we do not have an actuarial science department. Besides, I think that you had better be damn sure you want to be an actuary if you declare actuarial science as your major, otherwise you might be left with fewer options than you would with a more broad based economics or math degree.
            Haven't you heard?
            It's a battle of words
            The poster-bearer cried

Comment

degree choice

Originally posted by bdenyer
              Besides, I think that you had better be damn sure you want to be an actuary if you declare actuarial science as your major, otherwise you might be left with fewer options than you would with a more broad based economics or math degree.
              how is a Business science degree major in Finance at university of Cape Town for an Actuarial career , well i visited their site but wasn't fully answered.
              my sun sets to rise again!!

Comment

degree choice

Originally posted by bdenyer
                Besides, I think that you had better be damn sure you want to be an actuary if you declare actuarial science as your major, otherwise you might be left with fewer options than you would with a more broad based economics or math degree.
                how is a Business science degree major in Finance at university of Cape Town for an Actuarial career , well i visited their site but wasn't fully answered.
                my sun sets to rise again!!

Comment

Hey, Brenda here. U guys are talking about prestigious universities that offer actuarial science? How about University of Texas or University of Houston, US? Is it true that US universities offer the best actuarial science course?

Comment

I wouldn't necessarily say that. Correct me if I am wrong, but every country has their own system with their pros and cons. The US system prefers more consistent work as fa as I know and they also want you to be more independent and be able to possess excellent time management to juggle your school studies with your exams. I cant say much about the rest because I have not been a part of it but this is my opinion on the US system of Actuarial Science.

Comment

"want you to be more independent and be able to possess excellent time management to juggle your school studies with your exams"

That's the fun part - taking 17 credit hours (4 mathematics courses and an easy accounting course) and preparing for the first Exam in February. I should be fine, but it's a pain in the butt, heh.

Comment

: \ i am a 2nd year student in aus, at ANU doing b actuarial studies + b commerce(major in finance/management/international business). And i am really intrested to know how is ANU seen in the industry?

i simply choose this uni for 2.5 reasons;
                        a)it has a high world university ranking and social science ranking (from the times university rankings),
                        b)it has a degree called "Bachelor of actuarial studies", which sounds some how more focused on actuary work :P than other undergrate degrees such as B commerce/B finance/B economic/B mathsmatics/statistics/B science.
                        c) canberra is a very quite and small town(well... stricktly saying its a city since its the capital, but its realli a town) which u can argue gives a better study enviroment

i know it could be a little stupid to choose university just by the rankings, but theres really nothing i can refer to to know which university is better, especially in australia. but so far the idea i get is that the university really doesn't effect anything.... as long as u have some sort of higher education and have the associate lvl of the actuarial institutes... am i right?
                        Last edited by ---Seed---; February 6 2007, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ---Seed--- View Post
                          : \ i am a 2nd year student in aus, at ANU doing b actuarial studies + b commerce(major in finance/management/international business). And i am really intrested to know how is ANU seen in the industry?

i simply choose this uni for 2.5 reasons;
                          a)it has a high world university ranking and social science ranking (from the times university rankings),
                          b)it has a degree called "Bachelor of actuarial studies", which sounds some how more focused on actuary work :P than other undergrate degrees such as B commerce/B finance/B economic/B mathsmatics/statistics/B science.
                          c) canberra is a very quite and small town(well... stricktly saying its a city since its the capital, but its realli a town) which u can argue gives a better study enviroment

i know it could be a little stupid to choose university just by the rankings, but theres really nothing i can refer to to know which university is better, especially in australia. but so far the idea i get is that the university really doesn't effect anything.... as long as u have some sort of higher education and have the associate lvl of the actuarial institutes... am i right?
                          Hi Seed,
                          I am an international student and chose ANU's bsc. actuarial studies for exactly the same reasons as u mentioned. I will be arriving in Canberra within a week or so.

Comment

haha, will look forward to seeing u!
                            its realli hot here atm >_<!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Many universities offer actuarial programs in Canada too.
                              In Montreal alone, 4 universities offer it. I believe the work charge is similar to univiersities in the US or in Australia. Also, several universities offer similar programs in Ontario and the rest of Quebec.
                              This session, I had 3 math classes, 1 programmation class and 1 Economic. Exclusing my preparation for the P Exam and my part time job.
                              The time investment to become an actuary is enormous, wherever you study.

Comment

Working...
                              X