Banner Ad 1

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I major in Computer Science or Statistics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R_T View Post
    The only positive aspect of attainig a stats degree, as it applies to actuarial science, is that it will hopefully expose the student to SAS, which is important for Health & P&C
    work. If you are looking for a major that will teach you to think, I would put physics at the top of the list. As far as the stats material covered on the exams, anyone with half a brain can learn it on his own.
    Pass MLC and C on your first try, then talk about the material not being hard enough.

Comment

Last edited by R_T; February 10 2010, 04:27 PM. Reason: deleted

Comment

Originally posted by R_T View Post
        Just about any moron can pass P!
        :shocked::embarrassed::wideyed:
        A&J Study Materials (anjstudymanual.com)

Provides study manuals and questions banks for exam P/1, FM/2 and MFE/3F

Comment

Originally posted by NoMoreExams View Post
          One would argue if high schools started offering classes beyond calc. 2 that they should offer real analysis before calc. 3. A lot of kids coming out of a high school program do not understand calculus. And a lot of people will argue that to really understand calculus 3, you need linear algebra and some analysis/topology. In any case, most advanced math students will go on to major in math (at least from what I've seen) and they would benefit more from Real Analysis than trying to understand calc. 3.
          I agree. I didn't start to understand calculus until real analysis.

Comment

One would argue if high schools started offering classes beyond calc. 2 that they should offer real analysis before calc. 3. A lot of kids coming out of a high school program do not understand calculus. And a lot of people will argue that to really understand calculus 3, you need linear algebra and some analysis/topology. In any case, most advanced math students will go on to major in math (at least from what I've seen) and they would benefit more from Real Analysis than trying to understand calc. 3.
            Great idea. Maybe we should start having high school students take abstract algebra and measure-theoretic probability as well.
            Last edited by probability; January 13 2010, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by probability View Post
              Great idea. Maybe we should start having high school students take abstract algebra and measure-theoretic probability as well. That way they can be ready for the Ph.D.
              Qualifiying Exams by the time they're 18 and go directly from high school to graduate school.:wacko:
              I'd wager any kid that can take Calc. 3 in high school can understand the basics of set theory/real analysis.

Comment

I'd wager any kid that can take Calc. 3 in high school can understand the basics of set theory/real analysis.
                You're right, but what percentage of such students can be found in today's high schools?

Comment

You're right, but what percentage of such students can be found in today's high schools?
                  Hence the "if" in my original statement.

Comment

Hence the "if" in my original statement.
                    Why limit(pun intended) this argument to multivariate calculus? A student will not gain a rigorous understanding of single variable calculus as well until he studies analysis.

Comment

Why limit(pun intended) this argument to multivariate calculus? A student will not gain a rigorous understanding of single variable calculus as well until he studies analysis.
                      Isn't that what I said in my original post?

Comment

In any case, I think that actuaries who work
                        in industry could probably get away with just a superficial understanding of calculus. After all,
                        it's no longer being tested directly by the SOA or CAS.
                        Last edited by probability; January 13 2010, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X