want to be an actuary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• want to be an actuary

I am Robert Lazar and am currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science in India. I would like to study to become an actuary in USA. Sir,can you please advice me on what I should do? I know that there are a set of exms that have to be taken and that after the first exam we can study alongwith a job. But since am in India am confused as to how to proceed. Should I take admission for an undergradate course or graduate course n then when am i supposed to give the first exam.

If you need sponsorship to work in the US, becoming an actuary in the US is probably harder than you expect even if you have more than one exam passed.
    Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

x

Originally posted by Ken
      If you need sponsorship to work in the US, becoming an actuary in the US is probably harder than you expect even if you have more than one exam passed.
      Mr.Ken...For not opening another topic....Pls tell me...
      I don't need a sponsorship to work in US.. I have won a DV Lotery visa with SSN an GC(wich I'm goning to have after few days or months upon arrival).
      I have gratuated this year Academy of Economic Studies of Bucharest with
      a bachelor diploma thesis named:”Application of Robust Estimators in Actuarial Science”.
      What I told you before probably won't matter(most of our european diploma's aren't recognized in US) . The important thing is how could I start a career in actuarial science? Should I apply for the jobs only with my knowledge or should I begin from "zero ground" with actuarial exams?
      Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by crisu
        Mr.Ken...For not opening another topic....Pls tell me...
        I don't need a sponsorship to work in US.. I have won a DV Lotery visa with SSN an GC(wich I'm goning to have after few days or months upon arrival).
        I have gratuated this year Academy of Economic Studies of Bucharest with
        a bachelor diploma thesis named:”Application of Robust Estimators in Actuarial Science”.
        Are you sure that you have a BS degree, not a MS one?

I do not know about the Romanian education, but Soviet / Russian higher education diploma generally is considered to be more or less equivalent to American MS. In Poland the education was (is?) structured almost the same way as in Russia, but the diplomas are officially named "Magister".

A typical American BS degrees is issued after 4 years of classes, requires just 15 "credits" (hours per week) per semester, and does not require thesis. Good students take 18-20 credits per semester. MS degree requires two extra years of education, including classes and thesis.

The requirements for American MS are very close to Russian / Soviet requirements for "evening" education: 6 years, 16 hours per week per semester. Except the evening students are required work, on jobs related to their education. Practically, most of American students also work at least half time while studying in university, while not necessary on a related job. Education is expensive in USA, and student need to eat, to have a shelter, etc. as well...

The Russian day education: 36-38 hours per week, usually 5 years, for some specialities 5.5 years. Clearly close to American MS.

What I told you before probably won't matter(most of our european diploma's aren't recognized in US) .
        Most of American corporations recognize foreign diplomas. Soviet/Russian higher education is recognized as MS, the Russian "kandidate" degree is recognized as Ph.D. You can verify it, for example, by reading bio of Soviet educated professors on university WEB sites. An education that is good enough for Yale, Harvard, and Princeton is good enough as well for most of commercial companies.

Of course, there are some exceptions.

The important thing is how could I start a career in actuarial science? Should I apply for the jobs only with my knowledge or should I begin from "zero ground" with actuarial exams?
        Thanks!!
        I would suggest to concentrate on exams first. Even with American education there is hardly 1% chance to find an actuarial job before passing at least one actuarial exam. "Looking for a job is a full time job", with no time left for study. If you cannot survive several months without job, get any job first, without fixation on actuarial profession, and prepare to actuarial exams at nights.

With one actuarial exam companies will start consider your application(s). With two exams you have fighting chances. With three or four exams the chances to get a job are very good to excellent.

Many companies prefer local candidates. Most of insurance companies are concentrated in few regions: in big cities like New York or Chicago, but also in few other places, for example in / around Hartford, CT. It is much easier to find an insurance job if you live there.

BTW, how good is your spoken English? The live American English is substantially different from the simplified variant of British English that was (is?) taught in Soviet Union and many East European countries. Many immigrants who read English fluently and believe that they know English encounter serious problems with understanding Americans. A lot of jargon, new words and expressions, local dialects, Ebonics, not clear pronunciation including skipped consonants, "t" prononced as "r", etc. It does not take much time to learn to understand educated Americans at work, but there are many problems with job interviews and with shopping and other everyday chores. Especailly when you have to use phone. I would suggest to buy few American DVDs or VCR tapes, and to watch them many times, at first with subtitles.

Comment

All insurance companies recognize actuarial exams. That's where you should start.
          Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

x

Thank you for reply. I should start with actuarial exams. Also for Ken...

Comment

Hello

Hi All,
              I am Nita,I am preparing for Exam P and will take exam on 16 may,i am the new member to this forum and looking for more interactions.
              Regards
              Nita

Comment

Working...
              X