Beginning a career in A.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginning a career in A.S.

This is a great forum. I would appreciate any thoughts anyone could give on this post.

I am currently a teacher, but have enrolled in a class to help pass the P/1 Exam (it has not yet begun). I currently teach Calculus and Applied Statistics, so I feel fairly confident on a lot of the material. I have taken the 90 question sample test on www.beanactuary.org and got about 50 correct. I can routinely get 3-4 questions right on the interactive exam for college students.

I will have to notify my school whether or not I plan to return for the next school year by April. I am confident I want to pursue the Actuarial career, but in case I do not pass the first time, I would hate to be out of a job for a few months. I will take the exam in May, so I will not receive results until after the notification deadline for my school.

The reason I pose this question here is because I would like for someone familiar with the tests to evaluate whether or not I seem like a good candidate to pass the first time.

Any advice you could offer would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I don't know whether it's too late, but I'd recommend using a study manual instead of a class.
    Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation. Why would you prefer a study guide to a class?

Comment

You need to study for the type of questions that they will give you on the exam. Your class will probably not be as in depth as you need it to be. The people who write the study manuals have taken these exams and they know what's up.
        Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

Ken -
          So, really you're not saying the class is bad, but that I should not depend totally on the class.
          If that's the case, that's not what I am saying I will do. However, there are some concepts that are much easier to understand coming from a person than from a page in a book. I am looking to get a manual before the class starts in February. I have done some basic studying in the meantime using the old tests from the SOA website.
          I am just going to take all the practice materials that I can. I'm not taking any chances. If I fail, I'm unemployed for a while and I can't have that.

Comment

Well I'm not much of a classroom learner. I learn far better with a text book. I'm not saying class is bad, but I don't think it's very useful. It would probably be more useful if you could find a class that is geared more towards actuarial students. You should try going through some of the past course 1 exams on www.soa.org and see how you stack up.

Comment

The class is designed specifically to help pass the P/1 Exam. We'll see soon enough if it was a good investment. I figured it couldn't hurt. I am just trying to get my hand on every resource I can.

Comment

I agree with Ken on this one.

With the manuals you can do hundreds of problems. Just by doing the problems and looking at the solution you can learn just about everything for the exams.

Comment

Working...
                X