X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I excel in my internship?

(No pun intended)
    Hi,
    I just started an internship about a month and a half ago and I'm feeling a little discouraged. I'm not doing terribly, but I feel so behind everyone else...even the other interns. I just took exam P and might have passed. My computer skills have gone from nearly non-existent to average. How can I make a great impression with limited skills? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

you are in pretty good shape. I mean I do not even have the internship yet. You are better than a lot of us

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley_Schmidt
      (No pun intended)
      Hi,
      I just started an internship about a month and a half ago and I'm feeling a little discouraged. I'm not doing terribly, but I feel so behind everyone else...even the other interns. I just took exam P and might have passed. My computer skills have gone from nearly non-existent to average. How can I make a great impression with limited skills? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
      You can try and look a little farther past what you'd normally do. Let's say you mainly organize numbers together and pass on the report to someone else to finish up. Have you asked what the report supports? Or where your numbers come from? If you have a fair grasp on what you're doing procedure-wise, ask more why questions about what you're doing rather than the "how do I" questions.

If you want to progress your Excel skills, look at formulas you're unfamiliar with and consult Excel help. Look at existing worksheets and try to figure them out for yourself.

Finally, if you're willing to really go the extra mile to impress your boss, go ahead and start playing around with VBA, if you don't already do so. Get a book (we all have Walkenbach - Excel 2003 Power Programming with VBA) and experiement a little - some on work time, some on your own time.

Other than that, keep doing what you're doing and study/pass actuarial exams. That's all that can be expected right now.

Comment

The following is a link to the MS online training tutorials that are free is you have Office XP and above.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/training/default.aspx

There are tutorials on the basic to the higher level for both Excel and Access, which will allow you to get on. I would look at pivot tables as these are powerful tools that allow you to analyze data in many different ways.
        Proper prior planning prevents poor performance!

Comment

Originally posted by wenjian1987
          you are in pretty good shape. I mean I do not even have the internship yet. You are better than a lot of us
          I echo what wenjian1987 said: at least you have the internship. I've been rejected by several already and am somewhat pessimistically waiting for word from the others. So make the most of your opportunity and cheer up!
          Haven't you heard?
          It's a battle of words
          The poster-bearer cried

Comment

Working...
          X