This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid otherwise, but...?

Does anyone have any insight on this? Suppose someone has solid academic credentials, good references, and a couple of exams under their belts, but a bankruptcy filing in their past. I know companies view this as a negative, but is it a total deal killer?

Originally posted by Alexis D
    Does anyone have any insight on this? Suppose someone has solid academic credentials, good references, and a couple of exams under their belts, but a bankruptcy filing in their past. I know companies view this as a negative, but is it a total deal killer?
    I don't think it would be a deal killer. Some of the larger consulting firms might be more sensitive to it but even still, they may not have a problem with it. The best thing you can do is approach the situation as though its not a problem, then when a company is interested in you, bring it up. So, don't hide it or lie about it but also don't advertise it on the front end. In the end, if a company is interested in you, they will most likely find a way to work around it. Don't let it deter you.

Comment

How far back? Are we talking "I filed for bankruptcy last week" or "I filed for bankruptcy in 1993" ?
      "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Comment

time frame

Filed in 2003.

Comment

Filed in 2003.
          Hm....my guess is that *if* it comes up, the prospective employer will ask questions (and I think they can...if I don't change this, assume they can). Why did you file? Was it Chapter 7 or Chapter 13? More importantly, did you learn anything from it that shows you will definitely not be going down that route anytime soon, if ever? If you filed in 2003 and you're already back in trouble, it will be a sign that you lack discipline and probably won't get hired. However, if you can demonstrate that it was a "one-time thing" and that you learned your lesson and have been on the straight-and-narrow since, it *may* not look as bad.

I do agree with number1, though - don't bring it up, but don't try to conceal details if it does come up.
          "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Comment

Working...
          X