Can't get an internship or job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a question for you guys.
    Does having an M.S. in physics give me an advantage over the typical applicant? I plan on passing P1 at the end of May.
    I have a B.A. in math and about 2 years of computer programming experience.

Comment

Originally posted by neutrino33 View Post
      I have a question for you guys.
      Does having an M.S. in physics give me an advantage over the typical applicant? I plan on passing P1 at the end of May.
      I have a B.A. in math and about 2 years of computer programming experience.
      Exams give you advantage. Unless you can convince the company that your M.S. will greatly help you in passing exams over the next guy. Even then, some might look at you and, in so many words, say "Prove it by actually passing exams."

Comment

is it easy to get an internship after passing one exam (FM/2)?

Comment

Originally posted by psp-fifa-fan View Post
          is it easy to get an internship after passing one exam (FM/2)?
          It'll get your resume in the door. Depending on your interview and technical skills, it might even get you home. Now there appears to be more and more people applying for internship with 2 exams so ...

Comment

Originally posted by NoMoreExams View Post
            It'll get your resume in the door. Depending on your interview and technical skills, it might even get you home. Now there appears to be more and more people applying for internship with 2 exams so ...

When do you think an undergrad student should get his first internship and how many internships do you think an undergrad should get before he graduates?

Comment

Originally posted by psp-fifa-fan View Post
              When do you think an undergrad student should get his first internship and how many internships do you think an undergrad should get before he graduates?
              Apply as soon as you can, you might not get one and probably won't the summer between your freshman/sophomore year but who knows. It gets your name out there and who knows, you might get lucky. Ideally a person would have 1-2 internships but 1 is good enough.

Comment

Although it is a good idea to apply as early and as often as possible, you should be realistic with your expectations of what will happen. I am doing an internship between my junior and senior years. However, I applied for internships with almost the same list of companies last year as well, with almost no response. The only substantive difference was that the internship would have been between sophomore and junior instead of junior and senior. You may get some responses, and I've had friends who have managed to get two internships before graduating, but your level of response will probably be much smaller earlier in your college career.

In addition, its important to know what time of the year most companies do their recruiting. Although there's probably somebody out there still recruiting through the entire year, in my experience, most big companies try to select their interns in the preceding fall. I was applying in October 2009 for May 2010 internships and finding that I had already missed quite a few opportunities because some companies were already done with their selection. Some of the interviews I got were companies who had already done one round of recruiting, and were looking for people to replace some of the ones they wanted to hire that didn't accept the job.

Keep in mind also that most companies are PAINFULLY slow at responding to your information. In my experience, it wasn't uncommon at all for an interview request to come 2 or even 3 months after I applied. Sometimes when I was contacted with an interview request, they scheduled the interview for a full month later. Don't mistake a slow response for no response, and get your applications in as early as possible so they have time to respond before its too late!

Comment

Are there internships offered to people who've already graduated, but have 1 or 2 exams passed? I'm gonna be starting my major late, so I won't be able to take any exams until after junior year.

Comment

Originally posted by Happychick90 View Post
                    Are there internships offered to people who've already graduated, but have 1 or 2 exams passed? I'm gonna be starting my major late, so I won't be able to take any exams until after junior year.
                    The problem with offering internship to people who have graduated is that they are looking for FT position at the same time. Why would we extend an offer to you, expecting you to work through the summer if there's a possibility that in 3 weeks you are going to tell us bye.

Comment

The problem with offering internship to people who have graduated is that they are looking for FT position at the same time. Why would we extend an offer to you, expecting you to work through the summer if there's a possibility that in 3 weeks you are going to tell us bye.
                      It stinks that you can't trust people's words. If I promised to work with you guys for the summer, I would. Even if I don't give you my word, my promise is implied by taking your offer for a summer internship. I would also make this clear to the company who is offering me a FT position.
                      Is such honesty and integrity not even expected in the corporate world?
                      I guess I am just having a moment of WTF is wrong with people.

So I guess I shouldn't even bother trying for an internship since I already have an M.S. I should just go for a FT position. Will not having an internship put me at a disadvantage?
                      Last edited by neutrino33; April 11 2010, 06:04 AM.

Comment

I don't know that its so much an honesty and integrity thing. If you're looking for full time work, and you get hired as an intern, I'm sure your employer would think it was perfectly rational for you to quit if you got a full time offer. I doubt that you'd find very many of your employers that thought you were doing something wrong by walking away from a 3 month internship to take a real job. Most of the people I've interviewed with have seemed to be genuinely interested in making sure the job was a good fit for both me and the company. I think the issue is more just that if they're given the choice, it simply makes more sense to pick someone where there's a lower risk that you'll leave the internship early.

Comment

Originally posted by Stodd View Post
                          I don't know that its so much an honesty and integrity thing. If you're looking for full time work, and you get hired as an intern, I'm sure your employer would think it was perfectly rational for you to quit if you got a full time offer. I doubt that you'd find very many of your employers that thought you were doing something wrong by walking away from a 3 month internship to take a real job. Most of the people I've interviewed with have seemed to be genuinely interested in making sure the job was a good fit for both me and the company. I think the issue is more just that if they're given the choice, it simply makes more sense to pick someone where there's a lower risk that you'll leave the internship early.
                          i'm not quite sure if i follow your argument. summer internship is like a 10-week job. are you saying it is ok to quite a 10-week job because you just found a FT job? and your employee thinks it's rational for you to quit even though they clearly specified it will be a ten weeks program? If that is what you are saying then you need a reality check.

I agree completely with what neutrino33 is saying. Only reason( that i can think of) they are not taking those who are out of school is that they don't trust that they'll stay for the entire program.

Comment

Originally posted by KHC831 View Post
                            i'm not quite sure if i follow your argument. summer internship is like a 10-week job. are you saying it is ok to quite a 10-week job because you just found a FT job? and your employee thinks it's rational for you to quit even though they clearly specified it will be a ten weeks program? If that is what you are saying then you need a reality check.

I agree completely with what neutrino33 is saying. Only reason( that i can think of) they are not taking those who are out of school is that they don't trust that they'll stay for the entire program.
                            So are you and neutrino33 saying that if you are about 2 weeks into your internship and a company comes along, the job you want, and offers you a FT position but they can't wait another 8 weeks, both of you 100% would reject the FT offer?

Comment

I'm not saying that your employer would like it, I'm saying they would think it is rational in the economic sense of the word. Who in their right mind would turn down a full time job because their temporary internship that they took as a last resort wasn't finished yet?

The only point I'm trying to make is this:
                              Employers may choose not to hire you after you've graduated because they expect that the rational thing for you to do if you had a full time offer would be to leave for the full time job.
                              I don't think that they avoid hiring graduates because they distrust them. They simply have a higher probability of hiring someone who will finish the internship program if they choose from applicants who haven't graduated yet.

The only reason I even bother making a distinction, is because I think you are likely to be disappointed if you think you can overcome employers' preference for undergraduates by trying to prove your integrity. Your integrity is not what is keeping them from hiring you.

Comment

So are you and neutrino33 saying that if you are about 2 weeks into your internship and a company comes along, the job you want, and offers you a FT position but they can't wait another 8 weeks, both of you 100% would reject the FT offer?
                                I would reject the offer, 100%. Plus I won't even waste time looking for other jobs until the program is almost over and I'm certain that I'll won't be offered a FT position.

I'm not in that situation but it saddens me that some people are

I'm not saying that your employer would like it, I'm saying they would think it is rational in the economic sense of the word. Who in their right mind would turn down a full time job because their temporary internship that they took as a last resort wasn't finished yet?...
                                Maybe if you really want to work for the company, the internship would be your entry ticket. Plus isn't all(correct me if im wrong) actuarial summer internships have a competitive salary?
                                Last edited by KHC831; April 13 2010, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X