Banner Ad 1

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My search for the entry level isn't going well...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My search for the entry level isn't going well...

... thus far.

I have been out of school for two years now, and have passed the first two exams in that time. I graduated with a B.S. in Math with a 3.17 GPA. My counselors at school were next to useless, and I only discovered the actuarial profession in my senior year.

Since then, I have been dazed trying to figure out everything for myself. Apparently, as it exists right now, the industry wants some experience before they'll give you a shot, but I missed the opportunity for an internship in college, and now I am told that I am too old for one now.

So, I am left in something of a pickle and I don't know what to do. I'd want to talk to the firms directly, but everything is done through clunky websites now. If anyone has any good advice, I'd like to hear it.
    ``Give me but one solid place to stand, and I will move the Earth.'' ~ Archimedes

i have similar situation

I am studying in school and will graduate in April. i have passed 4 exams ( passed 2,3,4 in fall 2004). However, i have no actuarial experience at all. Job hunting is really driving me crazy. I wonder if there is still a chance that i can find a entry level job......all i want is an entry level actuarial job to start....

Comment

Originally posted by afriend
      I am studying in school and will graduate in April. i have passed 4 exams ( passed 2,3,4 in fall 2004). However, i have no actuarial experience at all. Job hunting is really driving me crazy. I wonder if there is still a chance that i can find a entry level job......all i want is an entry level actuarial job to start....
      I've heard the actuarial job market in Canada is extremely competitive. Best of luck in finding a job. Are you sitting for C6 in May?

Comment

Originally posted by Monty Carlow
        ... thus far.

I have been out of school for two years now, and have passed the first two exams in that time. I graduated with a B.S. in Math with a 3.17 GPA. My counselors at school were next to useless, and I only discovered the actuarial profession in my senior year.

Since then, I have been dazed trying to figure out everything for myself. Apparently, as it exists right now, the industry wants some experience before they'll give you a shot, but I missed the opportunity for an internship in college, and now I am told that I am too old for one now.

So, I am left in something of a pickle and I don't know what to do. I'd want to talk to the firms directly, but everything is done through clunky websites now. If anyone has any good advice, I'd like to hear it.
        I might've mentioned this in another thread, but it's worth repeating:

If you do not have any experience and no exams, it will be difficult to find an actuarial position. Start studying for and taking exams as soon as possible. Since you're a math major, you may have taken a course or two in probability/statistics. If so, try and study for the May exam (registration is due on April 1st, though).

After you've got 1 or 2 exams done with, try and look for small insurance companies. The larger companies will be looking for candidates that have had experience and several exams already passed (3-5 exams). Small insurance companies, though, tend to be more accepting of less than maximal job prerequisites. This comes at the cost of less pay.

I got my first position with a small insurance company with (obviously) no experience and no exams passed (I started work the week after Course 1 - Spring 2004). The pay's not in the upper bracket, but it's comfortable.

It's about how much you want it. For now, keep your eye open for any companies/firms looking for candidates and start studying for exams.

Comment

it is so competitive here

hi man, tell you one example, i ever went to an interview in toronto and i didnot get the offer. i called the compnay, they told me that almost all candidates for that position had 4 exams and i was the only one without experience.........i was gonna do c6, but since i have not found a job yet....i guess i will give up...are you gonna write it?

Comment

hi man, tell you one example, i ever went to an interview in toronto and i didnot get the offer. i called the compnay, they told me that almost all candidates for that position had 4 exams and i was the only one without experience.........i was gonna do c6, but since i have not found a job yet....i guess i will give up...are you gonna write it?
            No, no. I still have to go back for M. I say "go back" because I went ahead and got 2 & 4 in the Fall to avoid any headaches with VEE filings and everything (my college has probably never heard of actuarial science). I'm gonna try for the ASA before the conversion is complete, but that requires getting M, 5 and 6 in consecutive attempts.

...in which case, I should be studying now, not posting. Good luck with your job search.

Comment

hi good luck on your exams man. M is nothing for you. but C6 really requires alot of material to read...

Comment

hi good luck on your exams man. M is nothing for you. but C6 really requires alot of material to read...
                I'll definitely take your word for it. I've started reading through the Course 5 stuff while studying hard on the Exam M material. I'm going to try to continue the continuous study habit - whatever necessary for the ASA first.

Comment

Originally posted by wat
                  I might've mentioned this in another thread, but it's worth repeating:

After you've got 1 or 2 exams done with, try and look for small insurance companies. The larger companies will be looking for candidates that have had experience and several exams already passed (3-5 exams). Small insurance companies, though, tend to be more accepting of less than maximal job prerequisites. This comes at the cost of less pay.

I got my first position with a small insurance company with (obviously) no experience and no exams passed (I started work the week after Course 1 - Spring 2004). The pay's not in the upper bracket, but it's comfortable. .
                  I was under the distinct impression that smaller insurance companies didn't hire actuaries, that a large company was needed to support them.

Right now, I've got a B.S. in math, 2 exams passed, and zero work experience in the field. I've been almost completely convinced that I'm unemployable.
                  ``Give me but one solid place to stand, and I will move the Earth.'' ~ Archimedes

Comment

Originally posted by Monty Carlow
                    I was under the distinct impression that smaller insurance companies didn't hire actuaries, that a large company was needed to support them.

Right now, I've got a B.S. in math, 2 exams passed, and zero work experience in the field. I've been almost completely convinced that I'm unemployable.
                    Not necessarily. A lot of them do, though. However, I think that with no experience, it might be easier to get a start in a small company, a consulting position or even a government position. A good start might be with www.dwsimpson.com.

Comment

Originally posted by wat
                      Not necessarily. A lot of them do, though. However, I think that with no experience, it might be easier to get a start in a small company, a consulting position or even a government position. A good start might be with www.dwsimpson.com.
                      How does one go about finding jobs with smaller insurance companies?

Comment

Originally posted by crayolaab
                        How does one go about finding jobs with smaller insurance companies?
                        I'm not trying to sound like a smart-aleck, but try your local phone book. Are there any insurance companies there? If not, then you could also check the SOA - I've heard there's a listing of companies that have exam support programs across the nation (US). With the small insurance companies, you can always inquire from their website or their HR department whether they have an actuarial department and whether they're looking for candidates.

Be proactive in your job search - don't let things just fall into your lap. You might get lucky ... but then again, you might not.

Comment

c5?

hi man, are you writing soa or cas? cuz c5 is offered by cas this spring....

Comment

hi man, are you writing soa or cas? cuz c5 is offered by cas this spring....
                            I'm on the life side: SOA. But, I do need to take M first, and after last sitting, I think 2 exams was more than enough for me. It's sort of a personal vow that I not take more than 1 exam again, especially when I get to the written exams (if I ever get there).

Comment

Originally posted by wat
                              I'm not trying to sound like a smart-aleck, but try your local phone book. Are there any insurance companies there? If not, then you could also check the SOA - I've heard there's a listing of companies that have exam support programs across the nation (US). With the small insurance companies, you can always inquire from their website or their HR department whether they have an actuarial department and whether they're looking for candidates.

Be proactive in your job search - don't let things just fall into your lap. You might get lucky ... but then again, you might not.
                              I'm outside of America at the moment, so it's hard to search for things- I'm pretty much confined to the internet at the moment. I actually have a stepmother in the business, she worked for MetLife and has friends at ManuLife, Fidelity, Prudential and a few others - so I am hoping to make some connections through her when I am back in America. I just wasn't sure if there were other forums like this more devoted to job openings or websites listing companies I'll definitely look into the phone book when I get to America!

Comment

Working...
                              X