Banner Ad 1

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MS Actuarial Science Prorgam, Please Help ME!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS Actuarial Science Prorgam, Please Help ME!!!!!!!!

I am really glad to announce that I was lucky enough to get accepted to Univ of Iowa, Georgia State Univ, and Univ of Nebraska for MS Actuarial Science program.

(+ Pending : Univ of Illinois-Urbana Champaign, Univ of Connecticut-Storrs)

Now I have to make a decision, but I am still not sure which university can provide the best environment for job placement, internship opportunity, and learning.

I am paying out-of-state fees anyway (no funds) (only Univ of Nebraska let me pay 150% of in-state fee which is about $7500 less than out-of-state fee per year) so money is not a factor.

I tried to get an actuarial job as soon as I graduated (Statistics major), but failed due to location + only 2 actuarial exams passed + English not being my first language. (I am a US citizen, btw)

I live in California, and I found out that many insurance comapnies that hire actuaries are in Mid and East coast,

so I decided to go to the graduate school. (and pass more exams and achieve ASA in there)

But I still cannot make a decision.

I know that Georiga State University (GSU) is very famous for its actuarial science program, but I feel that not that many 'general people' (people not in this industry) recognize this university.
    (Although I understand that general school ranking doesn't mean anything...still hesitated)

Univ of Iowa, and Univ of Illinois(Urbana) seem to be good choice for me in terms of school names, and the actuarial program.

But good thing about GSU is that it's in the city, so maybe easier for me to get a job after graduation, while UI and UIUC is little away from the city????

I am confused, and I really need your advice.

If you know anything about these universities, programs, or job placements (which is my biggest concern), please let me know.

Please help me decide.

Thank you very much!!!

People in the actuarial field know exactly what Georgia State University is. Kind of like Illinois State University - there's no "oh, really? Never heard of that place" treatment. That said, see the thread where I linked to an article from almost 5 years ago: in the end, it doesn't matter where you went to school - it matters what you can bring to the table when you get the job.

Re: job placement from college - frankly, I don't care where someone went to school. That's just a placeholder on a resume. If that person can tell me what they know, how they've applied it, and how teachable they are, I'll take that person over someone with a gaudy GPA and list of accomplishments, but talks more about how great they are [or has the personality of a clump of moss] and makes me feel like I'm going to spend half my time trying to get them to listen.
    "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Comment

Thank you very much for your reply.

Yes, I know that people in this field recognize these universities, but I was keep thinking like 'what if I cannot become an actuary? How do I pay my lonas? etc...'
      What I liked about UIUC was that they give 'MS Mathematics - Actuarial Science' degree instead of just Act. Sci degree, which might can help me 'look better' (UIUC-MS Mathematics-Act. Sci.) when I get other jobs. (+ more prestigious)

I know that it is not time for me to (and I must NOT) consider 'what if...' situations, but my uncertain future distracts me from making a rational decision.

However, your reply is gave me confidence (Thank you very much!)
      I will not be swayed by meaningless school rankings.

So, which university do you recommend if I REALLY want to be an actuary?

GSU vs. Univ Iowa vs. Univ Nebraska vs. UIUC

(I understand that it doesn't matter where I go, but maybe a school that can provide me the highest probability of getting an actuarial job?)

P.S. I am sorry but where can I find the linked article?
      Last edited by LoveActuarly; March 7 2011, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Find the school that you're most comfortable with; that's the one you're most likely to do well at.

The thread: http://www.actuary.com/actuarial-dis...hread.php?1757

The direct link to the article: http://finance.yahoo.com/expert/article/moneyhappy/3949
        Last edited by Irish Blues; March 7 2011, 08:26 AM.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Comment

Originally posted by LoveActuarly View Post
          So, which university do you recommend if I REALLY want to be an actuary?

(I understand that it doesn't matter where I go, but maybe a school that can provide me the highest probability of getting an actuarial job?)
          I think there's a slight disconnect.

If you understand that it doesn't matter, why are you asking which school will give you a better advantage. Have you visited these schools? Talked to the heads? These are the things you should do when deciding where to spend the next few years of your life (and $$).

Comment

Irish Blues// Thank you. Very helpful thread / article.

NoMoreExams// When I said 'it doesn't matter where I go', it meant that I will not care about the meaningless school ranking (which doesn't help me getting an actuarial job)

In terms of advantage, of course I do care and it does matter.

I talked to some heads but they all recommend their own programs (of course!) and I am still confused.
            I really wish I could visit these schools, but not enough money / time.
            That's why I am sitting down here to do research / post questions.

I read many threads related to this topic but different people recommend different schools.
            I think it's because all these schools have good actuarial programs (as Irish Blues said, doesn't matter where I go)
            and getting a job or not is all up to my skills.

But, for example, if I can find out that more recruiters come to GSU (because it's in a big city) than UI (away from the big city), I would be more happier to choose GSU over UI.

That's why I posted this thread.

Btw, I really appreciate your (Irish & NoMoreExams) replies! (When nobody answered )

Comment

No [and I mean zero] actuarial recruiters went to the college I graduated from. I had to drive 3 hours to go to a career fair where they did attend, and even then the company that hired me was one I applied to online. [I think, I may have seen someone from the company at a career fair but it doesn't stand out because I think if they were there, they were there for sales and marketing.]

Don't overrate the "where I went to school" part of getting a job when trying to figure out where to go to school.

Comment

NoMoreExams// When I said 'it doesn't matter where I go', it meant that I will not care about the meaningless school ranking (which doesn't help me getting an actuarial job)

I talked to some heads but they all recommend their own programs (of course!) and I am still confused.

I read many threads related to this topic but different people recommend different schools.
                I think it's because all these schools have good actuarial programs (as Irish Blues said, doesn't matter where I go)

But, for example, if I can find out that more recruiters come to GSU (because it's in a big city) than UI (away from the big city), I would be more happier to choose GSU over UI.

Btw, I really appreciate your (Irish & NoMoreExams) replies! (When nobody answered )
                That will happen, each head is trying to sell his school. FTR I went to U of I, it was great. I went there for ugrad but graduate program is the same thing. Thd school is great if you like things other than studying. They develop their curriculum well but there's also a great night life if you enjoy campus bars, getting drunk on any night and doing stupid ''''. Probably more fit if you're ugrad but I'm sure there's a fair share of grad students that do it too. I loved all my time there and was sad that it had to end

Comment

fine , great
                  mira

Comment

Working...
                  X