This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie...

I'm graduating in a month and just learned about this profession from the chair of my university's math dept. I'm very interested, but don't know how to get started. This site is great, been reading the posts and everyone seems so helpful. Hate to bother with such a basic ?. But how do i go about getting started with finding info on the study material and exams or is it better to take some coarses then to study on your own?. I'm gathering one needs to do that and at least take an exam before looking for an internship. Any thoughts or comments would help, thank you.

Originally posted by bigslim
    I'm graduating in a month and just learned about this profession from the chair of my university's math dept. I'm very interested, but don't know how to get started. This site is great, been reading the posts and everyone seems so helpful. Hate to bother with such a basic ?. But how do i go about getting started with finding info on the study material and exams or is it better to take some coarses then to study on your own?. I'm gathering one needs to do that and at least take an exam before looking for an internship. Any thoughts or comments would help, thank you.
    Passing an exam would be beneficial in your job search. In most cases, it's almost a prerequisite to have at least 1-2 exams completed before getting a full-time position with a company.

For Exam P (the first one), it depends on how you like to learn. If you perform better in a classroom setting compared to independent study, then you may want to take a class in calculus-based probability. However, there are many study manuals out there (www.actexmadriver.com has several available) to choose from that will make independent study much easier. The registration deadline has passed for the May exams, so you should be looking into taking Exam P in September (at earliest).

Some websites to check out at your leisure:
    www.soa.org
    www.casact.org
    www.beanactuary.org

Comment

Thanks

appreciate the info

Comment

Working...
      X