Typical Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typical Day

Could someone who is an actuary tell me what a typical day as an actuary is like?

Typical day for me.

Wake up at 7,
    take shower,
    put on clothes,
    drink orange juice for breakfast,
    brush teeth,
    look for my wallet, keys, and phone,
    put them in my pocket,
    look for my belt,
    weave it through the belt loops,
    look for employee ID,
    put it around my neck,
    turn off AC,
    lock door,
    drive to work,
    get in around 8,
    Check email,
    check my work from the day before to refresh my memory and make a list of question I have for my manager,
    ask manager questions and see what new projects there are to work on,
    go back to desk and open files in Excel and sometimes Word,
    coordinate with coworker to see exactly what the optimal time is to go eat lunch in the cafeteria,
    do things in Excel,
    ask manager questions before lunch if possible and if I have any,
    go eat lunch,
    come back and do more things in Excel,
    go chat with coworkers,
    go back to Excel,
    get some study time in,
    leave around 5.

After that, it usually varies.
    Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

Now that is funny.

It depends - what projects do you have to do? What things are you wanting to learn? Are you trying to get study time in? Do you have meetings you've been invited to? It can be everything from not much at all to "I have a quote I need to get out in 3 hours and I just got the loss data from the broker - can you run a loss forecast back to be so I can get this out on time?"
      "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Comment

Sometimes I do go to meetings, but that doesn't fit into the "typical day" category.
        Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

I don't know that actuaries have a "typical" day.
          "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Comment

For an actuary, when you're at work, would you say you have to really think in terms of calculus, probability or statistics? Or do you find that as long as you know what you're doing in Excel that you don't really have to figure a lot of math?

Comment

The unemployed actuary!

The unemployed actuary.
              Last edited by mreevit; August 14 2006, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Not much Calculus and Probability. A lot of Excel. I've used the interest theory from FM quite a bit. Most of my math skills are used to spot strange things in the data that someone without a math background would probably overlook.

Comment

typical day

i think i'm totally different: 80-90% of my time is spent modifying/creating/deciphering FORTRAN code. every 3 months i use excel to make spreadsheets containing the data i used my programs to extract, and managers in other depts use my pivot tables and spreadsheets for whatever they do. one of my reports i generate using access after i paste data from excel from data from the program i ran. you see the pattern, right? i do no analysis at all, i put the data together so other people can do analysis. this is why since passing my 1st exam i've been looking for other places to work to learn more. oh yeah, i almost forgot, i also surf the internet here and there.
                  binky

Comment

Working...
                  X