No announcement yet.

studying experiences?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• studying experiences?

I've recently finished studying the material for P/1, now working on the practice exams, and I've facing a lot of difficulties solving those questions on the practice exams. I can barely start or start solving the problem a little bit, and can't finish. I really wanna give up, but I spent way too much money for the studying material and I also registered the exam, I'm taking it in January...I don't know what to do, now every time I try to solve a problem, all I think about is: you know you can't pass the exam, you can't even solve anything on the practice exams...you are not a math person, you such in math...why bother...can anyone help me? has anyone have the same experience but overcame it? if you have, how did you do it?

Originally posted by nini1021
    I've recently finished studying the material for P/1, now working on the practice exams, and I've facing a lot of difficulties solving those questions on the practice exams. I can barely start or start solving the problem a little bit, and can't finish. I really wanna give up, but I spent way too much money for the studying material and I also registered the exam, I'm taking it in January...I don't know what to do, now every time I try to solve a problem, all I think about is: you know you can't pass the exam, you can't even solve anything on the practice exams...you are not a math person, you such in math...why bother...can anyone help me? has anyone have the same experience but overcame it? if you have, how did you do it?
    I think the only one who can help you is a therapist. Please. If you don't grow up quickly and review and work harder on the problems you'll never make it in business, let alone as an actuary. Just work and try harder. Review your notes when you're stuck and keep on trying. No sympathy on this end. If you can't cut it, then you should find something else.

Comment

hahahah, I'm laughing my butt off. have you gone for a therapist for this sort of help? is that how you know that's the only thing that can help me? LMAO.BTW, how many exams have you passed to talk so arrogantly?
      Last edited by nini1021; December 18 2011, 04:01 AM.

Comment

hahahah, I'm laughing my butt off. have you gone for a therapist for this sort of help? is that how you know that's the only thing that can help me? LMAO.BTW, how many exams have you passed to talk so arrogantly?
        lol Glad I could add some humor to your day. I haven't passed any, but I'm not going to cry about it. I understand the material because I study hard. Nothing arrogant about what I said. You need tough love. Study harder if you don't understand, or don't be afraid to ask for help. If you need emotional support there are other sites out there.

PS - You can be passive agressive all you want to me, but it's not going to help you understand the material any better. Why don't you try asking a question about the questions you are stuck on with your pracitce exams?
        Last edited by bsd058; December 18 2011, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bsd058
          lol Glad I could add some humor to your day. I haven't passed any. But I'm not going to cry about it. I understand the material because I study hard. Nothing arrogant about what I said. You need tough love. Get off you butt and study study study. If you don't understand something don't be afraid to ask for help. But if you need emotional support there are other sites out there.
          lol, oh, my apologies if you think I'm asking you to say "I'm sorry sweetheart, you can do it". I post anything I like even though it's emotional related, because it's not your website. my post is totally fine, not against any rules required by this web site, if it was, it would have been deleted by the administrators. if you don't like what I've posted, you don't have to response, just get off my business. I study hard, and I work from 9am-6pm, and study from 8:00pm-2:00am every day, when I face difficulties, I search for help, actuarial question-related or emotional related... there is nothing wrong with it, there is no rule here to say that I can't ask for people's studying experience. if you have a problem with that, too bad, not everybody would post what you like to see,but she/he is free to post anything she/he likes as long as it obeys the rules...

Comment

lol, oh, my apologies if you think I'm asking you to say "I'm sorry sweetheart, you can do it". I post anything I like even though it's emotional related, because it's not your website. my post is totally fine, not against any rules required by this web site, if it was, it would have been deleted by the administrators. if you don't like what I've posted, you don't have to response, just get off my business. I study hard, and I work from 9am-6pm, and study from 8:00pm-2:00am every day, when I face difficulties, I search for help, actuarial question-related or emotional related... there is nothing wrong with it, there is no rule here to say that I can't ask for people's studying experience. if you have a problem with that, too bad, not everybody would post what you like to see,but she/he is free to post anything she/he likes as long as it obeys the rules...
            Good luck channeling your frustration into productivity

hope you "feel" better.
            Last edited by bsd058; December 18 2011, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Good luck channeling your frustration into productivity.
              no frustration whatsoever, just facing difficulties sometimes. I do understand that's part of the process...I have very productive days, and very bad days when I need help... thanks for your advice, and good luck on passing your Exam P

Comment

no frustration whatsoever, just facing difficulties sometimes. I do understand that's part of the process...I have very productive days, and very bad days when I need help... thanks for your advice, and good luck on passing your Exam P
                Good luck to you, too.

Comment

hope you "feel" better.
                  I feel great, hope you don't feel "defeated"

Comment

Good luck to you, too.
                    Thanks a lot......

Comment

You guys seem like husband and wife....

just saying :P

to Nini,
                      I majored in mathematics.... It took me more than 2 tries to get p and fm. But I have them now and I'm very proud of it. Friends passed them both in first shot (one with a perfect 10 on p!)
                      Don't judge yourself too harshly. Don't compare yourself to others. If you want this bad enough... keep going until you get it. For me... I promised myself to get the first exam at least. From there I'd judge if it was worth it.... and to me it was! Pretty big investment in texts, studying, stress, studying, practice exams, studying etc... but I'm so happy now with two exams compared to where I was with none. It can be so brutal when you see a failure. But these are difficult exams. There will be failures here.... but the glory of 1 win trumps 3 fails in my opinion
                      But I've been there with the depression. Started pursuing this field after working outside my major in HR for 2 years and hating it and finally losing my job. It was tough and it still is! But once you get those problems right... it's definitely a rush. A confidence boost. An ego trip. However you react to it... get addicted!

For me I've realized where I need to be mentally and academically for these exams. Find your groove. Find your hot streak and keep going. Personally I learn best by doing as many example problems as humanly possible. This means Actex, ASM, Dr Os free problems, soa sets, saab, as well as googling and hanging around here and asking for help when I get lost or come up with a wrong answer.

Another thing.... I would often come up with the wrong answer but frequently find that my wrong answer was ANTICIPATED and was often a choice! While this is terribly frustrating.... it just meant that I was making careless mistakes. I had to take my time a little more on the problems. Work on my reading comprehension. Visualize what I needed to solve the problem and how it might be different from the problem I have pre formed in my head! The hardest part of math sometimes is reading! If you aren't here yet... it means you are having a difficult time visualizing what a problem is asking... for that... the solution is just simply... MORE PROBLEMS! :P Read the solution... and don't just memorize words and equations that seem to go together... UNDERSTAND what is going on in an equation! Visualize and change it up in your mind! How can the problem be different? How can it ask for a different thing?

But if in the end you don't feel you want this bad enough or there are other more fulfilling opportunities at your disposal... just know it's not the end of the world ya know? Life goes on! No matter if you invested hundreds of dollars in books and tutors..... there's no such thing as wasting money on education (as corny as that sounds!)

Feel free to message anytime your in doubt!

I'm starting to think we should have an actuarial support group :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by trsspidey
                        You guys seem like husband and wife....

just saying :P

to Nini,
                        I majored in mathematics.... It took me more than 2 tries to get p and fm. But I have them now and I'm very proud of it. Friends passed them both in first shot (one with a perfect 10 on p!)
                        Don't judge yourself too harshly. Don't compare yourself to others. If you want this bad enough... keep going until you get it. For me... I promised myself to get the first exam at least. From there I'd judge if it was worth it.... and to me it was! Pretty big investment in texts, studying, stress, studying, practice exams, studying etc... but I'm so happy now with two exams compared to where I was with none. It can be so brutal when you see a failure. But these are difficult exams. There will be failures here.... but the glory of 1 win trumps 3 fails in my opinion
                        But I've been there with the depression. Started pursuing this field after working outside my major in HR for 2 years and hating it and finally losing my job. It was tough and it still is! But once you get those problems right... it's definitely a rush. A confidence boost. An ego trip. However you react to it... get addicted!

For me I've realized where I need to be mentally and academically for these exams. Find your groove. Find your hot streak and keep going. Personally I learn best by doing as many example problems as humanly possible. This means Actex, ASM, Dr Os free problems, soa sets, saab, as well as googling and hanging around here and asking for help when I get lost or come up with a wrong answer.

Another thing.... I would often come up with the wrong answer but frequently find that my wrong answer was ANTICIPATED and was often a choice! While this is terribly frustrating.... it just meant that I was making careless mistakes. I had to take my time a little more on the problems. Work on my reading comprehension. Visualize what I needed to solve the problem and how it might be different from the problem I have pre formed in my head! The hardest part of math sometimes is reading! If you aren't here yet... it means you are having a difficult time visualizing what a problem is asking... for that... the solution is just simply... MORE PROBLEMS! :P Read the solution... and don't just memorize words and equations that seem to go together... UNDERSTAND what is going on in an equation! Visualize and change it up in your mind! How can the problem be different? How can it ask for a different thing?

But if in the end you don't feel you want this bad enough or there are other more fulfilling opportunities at your disposal... just know it's not the end of the world ya know? Life goes on! No matter if you invested hundreds of dollars in books and tutors..... there's no such thing as wasting money on education (as corny as that sounds!)

Feel free to message anytime your in doubt!

I'm starting to think we should have an actuarial support group :lol:
                        :-) trsspidey, thank you so much for your long, detailed description of how you have studied and overcame your problems. It's very helpful and I'm very grateful for it. Thank you so much!!! You mentioned a lot of great tips such as understanding what the questions are asking for and praticing tons of problems. you are right, many times I don't even know what the questions are asking for, when I look at the solutions, I'm amazed at how the words have been transformed into simple formulas of X and Y, which immediately makes so much more sense. sometimes I have to read it out loud just to understand the questions, and many of them are very confusing. I'm working on a lot of practice exam problems now. I made a studying mistake, I barely paid any attention to the exercises for each concept I've studied. see, working on tons of problems is the only way to grasp what you've learned. but I skipped those, so after studying everything covered in the book, I started working on the problems on the practice exams, and my mind just went blank. well, the concepts are now making more sense as I work on more problems. and what I've learned are now starting to wake up. anyways, thank you again for your help. don't go anywhere, I will come back for more help from you :-)

Comment

Anytime man! Yeah it's very dangerous to just look at the material, understand it, and think you've got it without really drilling ALL the problems. I used to just focus on plug and chug because it was easy and ignore the harder problems but you really need to do them ALL! Plug and chugs are cake and free points but they are usually fewer and far between.

(how soon is your test by the way???)

I may be able to forward you some old Practice Exams I've got once you are up for them.

Comment

Originally posted by trsspidey
                            Anytime man! Yeah it's very dangerous to just look at the material, understand it, and think you've got it without really drilling ALL the problems. I used to just focus on plug and chug because it was easy and ignore the harder problems but you really need to do them ALL! Plug and chugs are cake and free points but they are usually fewer and far between.

(how soon is your test by the way???)

I may be able to forward you some old Practice Exams I've got once you are up for them.
                            yeah, that is exactly what I did. I skipped some harder problems. see, they always come back to you in the end. you may as well solve them right away. don't wait just because you are lazy at the moment. I have about 25 more days before my exam. I have 20 practice exams to work on, now I'm still on practice exam 6. I know right!!! how am I supposed to finish 14 exams in such short period of time!! the questions on the practice exams help me a lot with refreshing my memory, now I have to keep checking my notes while solving problems, and have to constantly read the solutions. I do understand the solutions, but still, 40% of the time I can barely finish solving one entirely. I do believe I'm in trouble, but I'm very satisfied while working on the problems, coz they are just sooooo interesting, much more interesting than the math I learned in college. and studying makes me happy. hopefully by the time I get to practice exam 10, I won't need to use my notes any more and solve everything based on what I've learned from solving the previous exam problems. thank you for offering me the practice exams, I would love to have them, but I really doubt I have time for more practice problems besides the ones I have. Thank you though. that's very sweet of you. now I'm taking a little short break from studying. I can't believe there is this problem on the practice exam: find the PDF of Z=25X-10Y, and the solution says that I have to learn the three methods to solve it. 1. multivariate transformation method; 2. the convolution approach; 3. the CDF approach. I just finished working on it using all those three, jeeze, if there is a question like that on the exam, I don't think I can finish the exam within 3 hours.lol. lucky me, I have a whole week off from work due to the holidays, so I have more time to study. I just wish I can speed up a little, I'm really freaking out :-(

Comment

how am I supposed to finish 14 exams in such short period of time!! the questions on the practice exams help me a lot with refreshing my memory, now I have to keep checking my notes while solving problems, and have to constantly read the solutions. I do understand the solutions, but still, 40% of the time I can barely finish solving one entirely. I do believe I'm in trouble, but I'm very satisfied while working on the problems, coz they are just sooooo interesting, much more interesting than the math I learned in college.
                              At least 2 practice exams a day if you have off! You'll easily get through 20 exams in 10 days if you do two per day! If you're busy with work definitely do some problems on your lunch break and an exam at night. Are you using the asm manual then? Have you completed the SOA set?

Another big thing that helps is networking with other students in your area! This is a small field so make some friends! Be on the look out for other students with manuals at the library and even on this site take note of who else is in Va. I've met a few people in my area who helped me out greatly with notes, advice and guidance.

Are you a math major? How was your math in college different to this? Ever taken a course in discrete mathematics? prob and stats?

Stay strong!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎