This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions and more questions......

I am going to perhaps repeat some of the questions asked here already but i guess it will make me feel better if i lay out my whole situation.
    I am graduating this semester with a BS in Applied Math. I had a good GPA during the begining years but kinda declined in the middle. I was enlisted in the US Airforce while completing most of my degree so the obligations with them and deployments etc show on my GPA. I havent taken the first exam yet but am planning to do so in Sept of this year.

I dont have any work experience related ot my math degree but i did participate in undergraduate degree and also wrote a paper. I presented the research at a colloqium at school and also at a regional Math Assoc of America meeting.

Now my questions are:

1) My low GPA, how does it hold me back from getting into the list of to-be-interviwed or hired even. I will be graduating with a 2.9 perhaps. It has certainly increasead since i separated from the military but no where close to what i had in the first couple years (3.5).

2) Also, i am going to be taking a semester off this fall , just travelling and also settling in. I am getting married and moving to NYC so need to take some time off to settle in plus will be doing some overseas travelling. Would that hurt my case if i have a break in my resume??

3) Also i know the format for the computer based Exam 1 hasnt come out yet. But does anyone know if it is still going to be calculus based probability or any different? Any help identifying the sort of material will be highly appreciated. I have ofcourse taken statistics in college plus a couple other related classes. Also, my research was statistics based but i would still need to review some concepts and practice problems.

Sorry for makign this long but wanted to present my background before i present my questions.

Originally posted by Mehak
    I am going to perhaps repeat some of the questions asked here already but i guess it will make me feel better if i lay out my whole situation.
    I am graduating this semester with a BS in Applied Math. I had a good GPA during the begining years but kinda declined in the middle. I was enlisted in the US Airforce while completing most of my degree so the obligations with them and deployments etc show on my GPA. I havent taken the first exam yet but am planning to do so in Sept of this year.

I dont have any work experience related ot my math degree but i did participate in undergraduate degree and also wrote a paper. I presented the research at a colloqium at school and also at a regional Math Assoc of America meeting.

Now my questions are:

1) My low GPA, how does it hold me back from getting into the list of to-be-interviwed or hired even. I will be graduating with a 2.9 perhaps. It has certainly increasead since i separated from the military but no where close to what i had in the first couple years (3.5).

2) Also, i am going to be taking a semester off this fall , just travelling and also settling in. I am getting married and moving to NYC so need to take some time off to settle in plus will be doing some overseas travelling. Would that hurt my case if i have a break in my resume??

3) Also i know the format for the computer based Exam 1 hasnt come out yet. But does anyone know if it is still going to be calculus based probability or any different? Any help identifying the sort of material will be highly appreciated. I have ofcourse taken statistics in college plus a couple other related classes. Also, my research was statistics based but i would still need to review some concepts and practice problems.

Sorry for makign this long but wanted to present my background before i present my questions.
    I may not be the best person to comment on this (I'm not a hiring manager), but I'll give it a shot.

For the GPA, I would leave it off the application, but if a company asks you about it, be honest about it. That kind of this is easy to verify, so don't try to pass off a higher GPA than you expect to be getting. Then, if they ask you why, you can explain yourself and why you feel your GPA went down.

A short break (of 6 months or so) is not a bad thing. Companies will understand that you wanted a short vacation after you finished school. Plus, it's not entirely a vacation if you are planning to sit for the September Exam P. So, even more so, you can say that you are moving, getting married and planned to sit for an actuarial exam. Most companies you interview with will understand the continuous flow of events.

For Exam P/1, the format hasn't come out yet, but the syllabus has been released. I wouldn't expect it to change from what it is for the Spring exam, so to prepare for Exam P, you should be comfortable with calculus (3/4 semesters of it), and learn calculus-based probability and discrete probability. Check out the Exam P/1 forum for more details.

Comment

Working...
    X