How many Exams should we pass before we graduate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many Exams should we pass before we graduate

How many Exams should we pass before we graduate??

I have heard that It is a bad thing if you pass too much exams, and you don't have any work experience.

I am a student. I am wondering how many Exams should i pass before i graduate. Because my friend told me that if i passed too much exam, i will be over qualify, is it true?

P.S. It is my second year. I took FM this May, and i am going to take P at 8/21
    I don't know should i take more exam or not.

Thank you so much:smiloe:

Pass as many exams as you can. Get internships wherever you can to add experience. Exams + experience = excellent resume
    I thought this WAS a real job

Comment

It's always good to be overqualified rather than underqualified. However, the downside is that your salary may be hurt from what I've heard. In other words you won't start that much higher of a salary with 4 exams than an entry level with 2 exams. It may be possible the 2 exam person could have the same salary as you if you both pass more exams.

Comment

Originally posted by maryland View Post
        It's always good to be overqualified rather than underqualified. However, the downside is that your salary may be hurt from what I've heard. In other words you won't start that much higher of a salary with 4 exams than an entry level with 2 exams. It may be possible the 2 exam person could have the same salary as you if you both pass more exams.
        You mean it is better to pass 2 exam than 4?
        If i pass 4 exams, will my salary increase much faster than 2 exams within a year?

I read some threads said that the company actually will pay you for the passing.
        But for me, I am an international student, it makes me more difficult to get an
        actuarial job than you guys. So i am wondering should i pass more exam or not.

I have another question, the level of salary depends on the experience rather than the exams?

Thankyou

Comment

If you can pass more, thats better. I'm just trying to say theres an experience factor and an exam factor when computing salary. Some companies need both to give higher salaries. I'm sure you'll still make more with four than two I just wonder if its extremely different with the same low experience as with two.

Comment

how about the case if a student pass 6 exam before graduated?

Comment

There is no problem with a traditional student passing as many tests as possible before graduation. No one expects you to get a job before getting a degree. The concern is with someone not in school just taking the tests, with no desire/ability to actually work.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericeric View Post
                I am aiming to get ASA before or upon graduation. Is this possible? I am now in first year campus, taking 1P in the coming August.
                A&J Study Materials (anjstudymanual.com)

Provides study manuals and questions banks for exam P/1, FM/2 and MFE/3F

Comment

Originally posted by Ericeric View Post
                  Originally posted by sohpmalvin View Post
                  I am aiming to get ASA before or upon graduation. Is this possible? I am now in first year campus, taking 1P in the coming August.
                  If you can pass 6 exams and/or get your ASA/ACAS before you graduate, .... great!

Will you get paid for having 6 exams passed and/or having your ASA/ACAS? No - it's incredibly unlikely. You might get paid for at most 4 exams, but it's more likely an employer will simply pass you over.

Passing exams should go hand-in-hand with on-the-job experience. As I pointed out in the past, if you pass CAS 6 where the Berq-Sherm method of adjusting data is discussed, does it mean you can actually perform a Berq-Sherm adjustment? Will you really understand what it means for reinsurance to be ceded under a quota share agreement with a $2 million corridor? Will you be able to recognize what you should do when looking at reserving data and seeing indications that suggest future losses are really high on one side, but really low on another? Probably not ... and passing that exam should tell an employer, "hey - not only do I understand this stuff, I have done it in the past or can do it without needing to be walked through the steps."

Of course ... all you need is one (1) employer to say "yes" - so if you think you can find that one employer, then go for it! If you want to get a job halfway quickly without needing to spend 2 years trying to find that employer who'll take you on with 6 exams and absolutely no experience [internships don't count much on something like this], ... well, make sure you're ready to dig in for the long haul, and make sure you're ready to hear "no" a lot.

BTW - these exams? They do get more difficult as you go along. There's more material to be covered, questions are no longer multiple choice, the "math" part of the exam becomes less important while the "understanding the material and being able to explain what it means" part gets emphasized more and more [which becomes much more difficult to do if you don't have the experience to back you up], ... don't think that because you passed the first exam or 2 pretty easily that you'll be sailing along for the rest of them and through 6 exams by the end of college. One can pass the first 4 exams without experience ... it's the rest of them that start getting very difficult without it.
                  Last edited by Irish Blues; July 23 2007, 12:14 PM.
                  "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Comment

Thanks for your explaination. Irish Blues

Comment

Working...
                    X