This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if you didn't pass the exam?

Can you just take the exam as many times as you want? or insurance companies will look at the number of exams taken too?

Once you're employed you usually have 2 or 3 shots.

Comment

Thanks, but how about in general? like a student, not employed?

Comment

Originally posted by MaybeYesMaybeNo
        Thanks, but how about in general? like a student, not employed?
        You are allowed to take the exam as many times as it takes you to pass, or until you give up.

A company may only pay for a limited number of attempts, though. If you don't make progress, your company may encourage you to pursue other interests or they may help you pursue other interests, or they may let you stay but you have to pay your own way.

Comment

Originally posted by FSA
          You are allowed to take the exam as many times as it takes you to pass, or until you give up.

A company may only pay for a limited number of attempts, though. If you don't make progress, your company may encourage you to pursue other interests or they may help you pursue other interests, or they may let you stay but you have to pay your own way.
          Generally it's not so much "you're encouraged to pursue other interests" as it is, "You're out of the actuarial program - if we have a job for you elsewhere, you might be moved there but if not, make sure you have that resume polished up and ready to go 'cause you're not staying here."

However, if you passed an exam 4 years ago and you haven't passed one since (assuming you're not ASA/ACAS or FSA/FCAS), employers *will* ask - because it's not a good sign regardless of how you try to spin it.
          "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Comment

I am still a student. I do work but not in actuarial field. All I want to know is if it matters to fail an exam. GRE exam I know the first time is very important because they will always look at how you did the first time. I am curious if actuarial exams are like that. So my question is: if company and money are not the concern, can I take as many times as it takes to pass the exam? In the furture, when I apply for a position, will the company look at how many times I take the exam, or just take the highest score? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by MaybeYesMaybeNo
              I am still a student. I do work but not in actuarial field. All I want to know is if it matters to fail an exam. GRE exam I know the first time is very important because they will always look at how you did the first time. I am curious if actuarial exams are like that. So my question is: if company and money are not the concern, can I take as many times as it takes to pass the exam? In the furture, when I apply for a position, will the company look at how many times I take the exam, or just take the highest score? Thanks!
              It's not like a company is going to write the SOA/CAS and ask how many times you took a given exam. Neither group keeps track of that - they only track what exams you passed and what your score was when you passed.

If you take an exam and don't pass it, the company won't care what your scores were - they'll only care about what your score was when you passed. If you're asked about how many times you had to take an exam, I wouldn't lie but I'd also make sure the reason why was better than, "um...I dunno", or "um...I guess I'm just an idiot", or "um...because I didn't study any of the 6 times I sat for the exam."
              "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Blues
                Generally it's not so much "you're encouraged to pursue other interests" as it is, "You're out of the actuarial program - if we have a job for you elsewhere, you might be moved there but if not, make sure you have that resume polished up and ready to go 'cause you're not staying here."
                Encouragement takes many forms.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                  X