This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed - Exam 2 Questions

I have registered for exam 2 - am making a career change from math teacher - does anyone have suggestions to which is the best calculator and study material to buy to prepare for the exam. Thank you for your input.
    Peace,
    Scaggs

Exam 2 (FM)

I used the TI-BA II+ for exam FM, I would recomend it to anybody as it is the perfect calculator. Also, I used Steven Kellison's book Theory of Intrest 2nd edtion. The SOA website tells you what sections you need to know from that book. Good luck,
    SJ1

Comment

Originally posted by SJ1
      I used the TI-BA II+ for exam FM, I would recomend it to anybody as it is the perfect calculator. Also, I used Steven Kellison's book Theory of Intrest 2nd edtion. The SOA website tells you what sections you need to know from that book. Good luck,
      SJ1
      QFA. You'll get different suggestions on calculators but for FM, the BA II+ is ideal.

Kellison's book is very good. I don't say that about many math-related books (there are a lot of really lousy books out there), but IMO it would be hard to write one that is better on interest theory.
      "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Comment

Why? What's the best about it?

Comment

Originally posted by MaybeYesMaybeNo
          Why? What's the best about it?
          The calculator or the book? Since you weren't clear on this, I'll explain both.

The BA-II+ will easily handle problems involving PV, FV, payments, bonds, finding interest rates, ..... - there's a thread on this elsewhere here. You can use any acceptable calculator to find these things...but you'll also have to memorize the formulas so you can put the numbers in correctly - and if you type something wrong when you're doing this, you can find yourself with an answer that's nowhere near one of the choices. In an exam, you don't want that hassle - better to find something that will do work for you. As long as you take the time to learn how the calculator works, it will save a lot of time trying to crank out the right answer on something else.

Kellison's book is put together very well - the only argument I might have with it is that it's probably short on exam-style problems...but I don't think the book is strictly written to pass SOA/CAS FM. The book does a pretty good job of building on the chapter before, concepts are easy to understand, many of the examples are easy to follow, and you can gleam important material w/o needing all of the theory and notation to make you understand the formulas (if you want to read that stuff, it's in there - if you don't, you can skip it pretty easily).

It's one of the more readable books out there - I used it when sitting for 2 last November, and never felt like I needed a study manual to understand that part of the exam. (And I'm very quick to go look for study guides or other materials that give me the important stuff without all the flowery language.)
          "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Comment

Working...
          X