This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carreer Change from Teaching

I was wondering if there is anyone else out there who has made the switch from teacher to Actuary. I have been teaching high school math/statistics for six years and I'm ready for a change. I am planning on taking the FM exam in November and then P in the Spring. I also am curious if I will be at a disadvantage in the job market because I'm not fresh out of college (I'm 29).

thanks

Phil

Your age will definitely not be a disadvantage. A coworker and I just started this summer, I'm 28 and he's 34. Many of the people I work with started their actuarial careers after age 30. Stress your experience in the workplace and your maturity and it will be viewed as an asset. Good luck.

Comment

Strategy?

I was just wondering what strategy you had in preparing for the transition? Are you going to prepare for the material yourself? or are you taking any sort of prep course?

Comment

Originally posted by phil0333
        I was wondering if there is anyone else out there who has made the switch from teacher to Actuary. I have been teaching high school math/statistics for six years and I'm ready for a change. I am planning on taking the FM exam in November and then P in the Spring. I also am curious if I will be at a disadvantage in the job market because I'm not fresh out of college (I'm 29).

thanks

Phil
        I went back to school at 27, graduated at 32, and got hired at 33. Don't worry about age - worry about showing that you're committed to the field and the exams.
        "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Comment

Working...
        X