Banner Ad 1

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acturial Science, Mathematic, or a related...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acturial Science, Mathematic, or a related...

I have done some researching on actuarial jobs and all of them seem to be looking for at least a Acturial Science, Mathematics, Computer Science, or related degree. Would business financing be a related degree? Would I be at a disadvantage is I had financing degree instead of the 3 degrees stated above? Also, why would a computer science degree help for being an actuary?

Originally posted by xboyangx
    I have done some researching on actuarial jobs and all of them seem to be looking for at least a Acturial Science, Mathematics, Computer Science, or related degree. Would business financing be a related degree? Would I be at a disadvantage is I had financing degree instead of the 3 degrees stated above? Also, why would a computer science degree help for being an actuary?
    I've heard of at least one English major becoming an actuary (and he's got his ASA right now). They list those majors because there's a better chance of passing exams if you can demonstrate your mathematical capability through those majors, but you don't need them. In fact, finance might help you out more in the long run - more business-related classes/concepts.

Computer science helps you out because on the job, we do a decent amount of programming work, whether it's in VBA, SAS, SQL or other programs/languages. It helps to have experienced structured programming in some fashion.

Comment

So taking computer courses is a must?

Comment

As long as you're not computer illiterate, you're okay.
        Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

Working...
        X