Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R_T
    replied
    Every P&C actuary who reads your post is going to love you!
    Last edited by R_T; December 26 2009, 10:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sherwin
    replied
    All the things that you are much interested in do not fit you at all maybe, however. So the interest should not be the main reason that you choose the P&C actuaries.

Yes, it is more common that life actuaries switch to P&C. But I don't think the main reason for this is the interest. Maybe, just my guess, because there are so few P&C acyuaries and some life actuaries try meeting the meed. And another reason is that the life actuarial techniques are a liitle more complicated than the P&C actuarial techniques, I feel. I just say complicated, not difficult, hehe. Hope the words do not make some people angry.

Leave a comment:

• joeorez
    replied
    Why P&C

Our exposures are more dynamic. Insurance against loss from satellites. Internet liability. Cell phone radiation liability. The subprime mortgage crisis. I think these things are more interesting than life insurance or pensions.

By the way, which do you think is more common: Experienced life & pension actuaries switching to P&C, or experienced P&C actuaries switching to life & pension?

Leave a comment:

• Sherwin
    replied
    So unpredictable that the solution seldom fits the actual fact well. When someone else satirizes you for that, what will you do?

Leave a comment:

• Irish Blues
    replied
    MY personal opinion....because P&C is constantly umpredictable. That is, something that happens now isn't guaranteed to happen tomorrow, a month from now, a year from now, etc. etc. - assumptions and solutions you thought were good today won't necessarily be good at any point in the future. I'm the kind of person who likes coming up with a solution, coming back 6 months later to see if the solution is still good, and picking it apart to find a new, better solution to fit the current situation.

Health is much like P&C so I could see me in health, but P&C actuaries are in high demand...so I gravitated there.

Life IMO is stable - the challenge is in determining which of the insureds will die this year, but you know X% of the population aged YY will die in the next year. Pensions is a bit more unpredictable, but for me it never grabbed my interest like P&C always has.

Leave a comment:

• gizmo
    started a topic Why choose casualty to go into?

Why choose casualty to go into?

Why would someone choose property casualty to go into over life and health or pensions?
Working...
X