Exam 'P' Preparation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exam 'P' Preparation

Completing an introductory probability course, with the final in a couple weeks - I fully expect an A at this point.

The course had basic counting, with permutations and combinations; discrete probability, Baye's Theorem, introduction to continuous and discrete distribution functions, probability functions, density functions, etc., calculations of mean, variance, and a brief discussion of moment generating functions; a brief analysis of binomial, poisson, geometric, hypergeometric, negative binomial; uniform, exponential, normal (gaussian) distributions, and gamma function with derivation of gamma(1/2), etc., he mentioned but didn't discuss Zeta, Gamma, Beta, Cauchy, Weibull, and Pareto distributions; we've started working on functions of random variables, and the methods of transformation, etc., we're concluding multivariate distributions, marginal densities, conditional densities, and calculations of mean, variance, covariance, correlation coefficient.

The class I found rather useful, but I find it has merely given me the knowledge necessary for me to -start- preparing for the exam. The course used the professor's notes, no textbook - I own 'A First Course in Probability' and plan on buying the Actex 2005 Manual. Is there anything else you guys recommend I look into for preparing for the exam? Taking it in February, but will do most of my studying during winter break (December 22nd-January 17th).

Thanks in advance,
    Vincent Carpenter

When I took Course 1 just last November, I was in very similar situation: was in a probability class and used Actex, written by Broverman--and fortunately passed. I'm gearing up for CAS 3 this April, and I'm finding most anything written by Broverman is very good.

Also note that he himself posts practice problems for P, so he seems quite easily accesible in answering any questions.
    Last edited by .Godspeed.; December 5 2005, 12:53 AM.
    act justly. walk humbly. .

Comment

Originally posted by .Godspeed.
      When I took Course 1 just last November, I was in very similar situation: was in a probability class and used Actex, written by Broverman--and fortunately passed. I'm gearing up for CAS 3 this April, and I'm finding most anything written by Broverman is very good.

Also note that he himself posts practice problems for P, so he seems quite easily accesible in answering any questions.
      I also had a probability class and used Actex manual. It was not so difficult to pass. The Actex P menu was very helpful.

Now please forgive me for digressing a bit.
      Questions for Godspeed. Are you using Broverman's guide to prepare for your CAS 3 exam? Have you had any courses on the related material before?

Comment

Originally posted by novrain
        I also had a probability class and used Actex manual. It was not so difficult to pass. The Actex P menu was very helpful.

Now please forgive me for digressing a bit.
        Questions for Godspeed. Are you using Broverman's guide to prepare for your CAS 3 exam? Have you had any courses on the related material before?
        I am using Broverman's M Manual for the life contingencies portion and Mahler's CAS 3 for the non-life contingencies portion.
        act justly. walk humbly. .

Comment

Working...
        X