Banner Ad 1

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone used the following study materials for M? Any feedback?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone used the following study materials for M? Any feedback?

Hi,

I am trying to decide which study guide(s) to get for the spring SOA M exam. If you have used the following material before or have heard anything about it, please tell me what you like about it and what not. I really appreicate it.

1. A.S.M Study Manual by Weishaus
    2. Actex Study Manual for M
    3. S. Broverman Study Guide for M
    4. H.Mahler Study Aid for M
    5. Ostaszewski's study aid for M
    6. (anything else besides the ones listed above )

Thanks again for reading.

Hi,

Do you still need these study guides?I have used A.S.M. Manual 2005(1st) edition,and never used Actex Manual 2006(the newest) edition want to sell.PM me if you interested.
    Originally posted by novrain
    Hi,

I am trying to decide which study guide(s) to get for the spring SOA M exam. If you have used the following material before or have heard anything about it, please tell me what you like about it and what not. I really appreicate it.

1. A.S.M Study Manual by Weishaus
    2. Actex Study Manual for M
    3. S. Broverman Study Guide for M
    4. H.Mahler Study Aid for M
    5. Ostaszewski's study aid for M
    6. (anything else besides the ones listed above )

Thanks again for reading.

Comment

6. I'm using Arch-M right now. I just started a couple weeks ago but I think I'm picking up life contingencies fairly quickly. It doesn't have a lot of problems, but it is real good at explaining things in a simple way. It has formula summaries at the end of each chapter and it references problems from "Actuarial Mathematics" so I wouldn't recommend it unless you have this book to go with it. My plan is to use this to get the understanding then I plan on getting ASM at some point because I hear it is loaded with problems.

Comment

Originally posted by kmw2006
        Hi,

Do you still need these study guides?I have used A.S.M. Manual 2005(1st) edition,and never used Actex Manual 2006(the newest) edition want to sell.PM me if you interested.
        How do you like the A.S.M Manual?

Comment

Originally posted by PhillyP
          6. I'm using Arch-M right now. I just started a couple weeks ago but I think I'm picking up life contingencies fairly quickly. It doesn't have a lot of problems, but it is real good at explaining things in a simple way. It has formula summaries at the end of each chapter and it references problems from "Actuarial Mathematics" so I wouldn't recommend it unless you have this book to go with it. My plan is to use this to get the understanding then I plan on getting ASM at some point because I hear it is loaded with problems.
          Thank you for your response. I don't have the second edition of Actuarial Mathematics. I only got the 1986 edition. Do you by any chance know how the two differ from each other? Would you mind listing the table of contents of the newer version here (only the chapters included in M)? Thanks so much!

Comment

In Sam Broverman's M manual, I've gone through the first 11 of about 30 sections devoted soley to Life Contingencies. My school does not offer any classes in this, so I've had no previous exposure to this material, but his explanations and accompanying problems/solutions have been extremely clear and thorough. There are also a wealth of questions, including multiple problem sets and practice exams.

Again, I've only gone through about 1/3 of the Life Contingencies portion of this manual, but I would say it has been quite clear thus far.
            act justly. walk humbly. .

Comment

Working...
            X