Banner Ad 1

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ostaszewski Course M

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ostaszewski Course M

    Could someone (pref. krzysio) please comment on these notes (# of pages, # of problems, structure).

    Also some idea of the layout/typesetting/font size. I know this sounds dumb but I once had a required algebra text that was all the same font size, no bold, no boxes around important equations, no colour, no indentation. It was torture.


    Thanks.

  • #2
    Ostaszewski's Course M study manual

    Dear aced:

    I should note that I only wrote notes on life contingencies on Course M,
    available from New England Actuarial Seminars www.neas-seminars.com
    You can buy there a second piece completing the whole Course M either
    by Howard Mahler (huge, really huge set of notes and practice problems
    on everything property/casualty on Course M) or by Ewa Kubicka
    (smaller and cheaper). You get a discount if you buy a set.
    Also, if you take the Illinois State University seminar for Course M
    http://www.math.ilstu.edu/actuary/prepcourses.html
    you will get Dr. Kubicka's and my study manual at no charge with paid seminar
    registration.

    My notes on Course M life contingencies:
    405 pages, set in Times 14 pt font, in separate sections for each main area,
    as described on the NEAS web site. The notes are not like a regular book,
    but a study manual: key formulas pointed out and explained, listed clearly.
    Some unique techniques not shown in other manuals: David Ricardo
    formulas, Poohsticks for multiple lives, counting lives for multiple decrements. Very exam-oriented, and expect a lot of memorization, but achieved by doing a lot, really a lot of problems -- there are hundreds of problems with very complete solutions. By the way, new on the exam Chapter 15 has very thorough coverage and practice exercises. Note that I am a co-author of Bowers' et al "Actuarial Mathematics" solutions manual published by Actex.

    Also: current edition does not include yet solutions for May 2005 exam M,
    but that will be added as soon as I can type them up. If you take our seminar,
    you will get those solutions regardless, and there will be a practice test in the
    seminar.

    Yours,
    Krzys' Ostaszewski

    Originally posted by aced
    Could someone (pref. krzysio) please comment on these notes (# of pages, # of problems, structure).

    Also some idea of the layout/typesetting/font size. I know this sounds dumb but I once had a required algebra text that was all the same font size, no bold, no boxes around important equations, no colour, no indentation. It was torture.


    Thanks.
    Want to know how to pass actuarial exams? Go to: smartURL.it/pass

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks!

      I've bought the Mahler notes off someone used. But my real weakness is the Life Con material especially from chapters 7,8,15.

      I haven't used study guides before and I found out the hard way that the text alone wasn't enough. Just calculating Ax:n from the tables took me longer than I'd like to admit at the beginning. So this time around I'd like to be really prepared.

      I'm not sure if I'll get the AM solution's because the exercises didn't look that relevant to the exam and I wouldn't know which problems to do. What does the solutions manual cover? Is it odd numbered questions from the exercises?

      Comment


      • #4
        Ostaszewski's Exam M manual

        I agree that for exam M it is quite difficult to handle studying just with the manual.
        This is why we offer our manual (by Kubicka and Ostaszewski) with the seminar, if you pay for the seminar, you do not pay for the manual, you get it with the seminar. I think multiple decrements are also quite challenging.

        Please note that the solutions to "Actuarial Mathematics" by Michael Gauger and myself is a different thing that a study manual. It just contains solutions to exercises in "Actuarial Mathematics", all exercises, but not all chapters. If I find the time and the strength, I will write complete solutions for all chaptes. For now, it contains all solutions to exercises in chapters that are on exam M. Is this a good book to have for exam M? If you have extra money, yes. But the manual (by Kubicka and Ostaszewski) or just my Life Contingencies manual is much, much more exam oriented -- my students say that my manual is just as devious as the real exam! (I consider this the ultimate compliment).

        Yours,
        Krzys' Ostaszewski

        Originally posted by aced
        Thanks!

        I've bought the Mahler notes off someone used. But my real weakness is the Life Con material especially from chapters 7,8,15.

        I haven't used study guides before and I found out the hard way that the text alone wasn't enough. Just calculating Ax:n from the tables took me longer than I'd like to admit at the beginning. So this time around I'd like to be really prepared.

        I'm not sure if I'll get the AM solution's because the exercises didn't look that relevant to the exam and I wouldn't know which problems to do. What does the solutions manual cover? Is it odd numbered questions from the exercises?
        Want to know how to pass actuarial exams? Go to: smartURL.it/pass

        Comment


        • #5
          Looks like test M is next for me.

          Dr. Ostaszewski,

          If you were going to study for exam M, would you choose your notes + Mahler's notes or your notes + Kubicka's notes. I'm temped to just do the cheaper pair, unless you have a recommendation for the other route.

          Thanks,
          Stephen

          Comment


          • #6
            Choose one?

            It is a difficult choice for me, because I value the work of both of my colleagues, and you are implicitly asking me to speak against one of them. Let me point out differences: Mahler's notes are h u g e, this is the biggest study manual that exists, and if he covers everything you can imagine, over and over in a sense, he is just extremely thorough, and does things at varying levels of depth, so if you choose, you can be superficial, or you can go in deeply, and in both cases he shows you the way to get through the exam. Kubicka's notes are shorter and to the point -- and you know that many students simply look for the shortest way through the exam, so this kind of notes appeal to many. But I believe both of them are very valuable.

            Yours,
            Krzys'


            Originally posted by smj
            Looks like test M is next for me.

            Dr. Ostaszewski,

            If you were going to study for exam M, would you choose your notes + Mahler's notes or your notes + Kubicka's notes. I'm temped to just do the cheaper pair, unless you have a recommendation for the other route.

            Thanks,
            Stephen
            Want to know how to pass actuarial exams? Go to: smartURL.it/pass

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks for the reply. I may flip a coin =).

              Comment

              Working...
              X