Exam P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exam P

I am planning on taking test P next spring and was looking for some advice on what materials/text books were best to study. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Exam P texts

I wrote the ASM manual for exam P, available at www.studymanuals.com, and post practice problems on this forum. Sam Broverman, who also posts problems here, wrote the Actex manual, www.actexmadriver.com. So you a preview of two choices in the two sticky threads at the exam P forum. There is a list of textbooks in the SOA/CAS catalog for exam P. If you have any questions about the textbooks listed there, do ask. I like Michael Bean's book, because I have the attitude that you should learn more than the required minimum, and so does Michael.

All the best.
    Yours,
    Krzys'
    Want to know how to pass actuarial exams? Go to: smartURL.it/pass

Comment

Would Sam Broverman's ACTEX Calculus Review, 2005 Edition be a good review for calculas if we werent that familar with it???

Comment

Calculus review

Originally posted by base17
        Would Sam Broverman's ACTEX Calculus Review, 2005 Edition be a good review for calculas if we werent that familar with it???
        You do need to perfect your calculus. I do not know that Sam's book. You may want to try to ask him, as he is a member of this forum. Did you not keep your calculus book from college times? There also should be calculus texts at your nearby college library and bookstores ... I feel that any calculus book will do the job, I like Thomas and Finney, but there is really no preference. I personally learned most from a book in Russian by Fichtenholz, but, well, I grew up in Poland when it was occupied by the Soviets and Soviet books were cheap. Fichtenholz is way too hard for what you need, don't even try looking for it. I also loved a book in Polish by Kuratowski, again, not really available.

Yours,
        Krzys'
        Want to know how to pass actuarial exams? Go to: smartURL.it/pass

Comment

ACTEX Calc Review Manual

The ACTEX Calculus study guide is the calculus part of
          the old Course 1 study guide. It is fairly self-contained
          as a review of calculus, but it was not intended to be
          a replacement for a textbook that teaches the subject
          from a more fundamental point of view. It is designed
          as a review for someone who has some familiarity
          with the subject but may be a few years away from