Necessary Materials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Necessary Materials?

I am going to take the SOA/CAS Exam 1 in February of 2006, and I'm studying for it now. I have "A First Course in Probability" by Sheldon Ross (5th ed.) and I would like to know what other material I need for the first exam. I am interested in study guides too, but isn't all the material actually contained in the Ross book? I have read the www.beanactuary.com website and the syllabus recommending Ross among other probability books. I plan on working through "Probability for Risk Management" after I work through Ross.

Basically, what I am asking is, if I work hard and understand everything in Ross, will I be prepared for the 1st exam? If not, what else should I buy and study?

One last question, how much time ahead of the exam should I register to sit?

Thank you in advance for your help.
    Last edited by rippalizer; September 22 2005, 09:18 PM.

Originally posted by rippalizer
    I am going to take the SOA/CAS Exam 1 in February of 2006, and I'm studying for it now. I have "A First Course in Probability" by Sheldon Ross (5th ed.) and I would like to know what other material I need for the first exam. I am interested in study guides too, but isn't all the material actually contained in the Ross book? I have read the www.beanactuary.com website and the syllabus recommending Ross among other probability books. I plan on working through "Probability for Risk Management" after I work through Ross.

Basically, what I am asking is, if I work hard and understand everything in Ross, will I be prepared for the 1st exam? If not, what else should I buy and study?

One last question, how much time ahead of the exam should I register to sit?

Thank you in advance for your help.
    Most people will disagree with me but, I felt that book was all that was necessary to pass the exam. I worked through Ross's book and did SOA problems that they had posted from previous exams. You should make sure you look at the exam P syllabus and make sure you're touching upon everything you need to know.
    Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

Same position

Hi rippalizer I am in your same position and have the same question. I too want to begin studying ASAP but was wondering any other recommended texts. If you hear anything can you please pass along the info thanks

Comment

Working...
      X