VEE vs Exam 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VEE vs Exam 2

Hi all - I'm a career changer having trouble getting my first actuarial position (I live in Boston). I've taken Exam 1/P and am waiting for the results. I want to move as quickly as possible to take exams, and I see that I can take a VEE exam (perhaps Applied Statistics) next Feb. Should I study for that exam, or would my time be better utilized studying for FM next May?
    Thanks

Originally posted by bcrabtree
    Hi all - I'm a career changer having trouble getting my first actuarial position (I live in Boston). I've taken Exam 1/P and am waiting for the results. I want to move as quickly as possible to take exams, and I see that I can take a VEE exam (perhaps Applied Statistics) next Feb. Should I study for that exam, or would my time be better utilized studying for FM next May?
    Thanks
    I don't see why you can't study for both - right now, it's October, and you'd have 3 months to study for a VEE exam, plus another 3 months to study for Exam FM. Considering that neither exam has as much information to learn as, say, Exam M or C (or even P), you'd probably be able to handle both. But that's up to you to decide if you can handle it.

Comment

Thanks! That's what I was thinking I'd do, but I'm wondering how important the VEE exams are compared with the standard exams. By a potential employer, would they be viewed as comparable or less important?

Comment

VEE vs. exams

As I see it, less important. In fact, I would say, in order of importance:

Exams > Internship experience > Computing skills = good interviewing and communication skills > VEE

But it is a plus to have them. They are much easier to get than exams.
        In most places. If you take the CAS exams as an alternative way to get VEE, I would venture a hypothesis that you are getting VEE the hardest possible way.

Yours,
        Krzys'

Originally posted by bcrabtree
        Thanks! That's what I was thinking I'd do, but I'm wondering how important the VEE exams are compared with the standard exams. By a potential employer, would they be viewed as comparable or less important?
        Want to know how to pass actuarial exams? Go to: smartURL.it/pass

Comment

Working...
        X