Question for Dr Ostaszewski

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Dr Ostaszewski

Do you write a manual for exam M or C? I have been using the BPP manuals so how do yours compare to theirs? I ask because I am now comfortable with their manuals and don't want to change to one that is very different. You seem to be willing to answer questions and help those that buy your manual which is why I am considering changing (I would not pay for any seminar though). I also have a question to ask...should exam M definitely be taken before C? I am currently working in the health insurance field and it looks like exam M has a lot of life insurance topics that I have probably never seen(maybe exam C does as well...?). My formal training is in statistics and economics so I am learning most of this material for the first time as I do each exam. I also do all studying on my own while working full time so I don't know if exam M is too much new material for me to cover between now and May. Thanks.

Answer from K.O.

>Do you write a manual for exam M or C?

M, but not C. I wrote only a life contingencies manual for M, but my manual is sold both individually and with two manuals that cover the other half:
    - Ewa Kubicka's manual,
    - Howard Mahler's manual.
    I teach a seminar for M together with Ewa, and the seminar includes a complimentary manual. Manual available from:
    www.neas-seminars.com
    Our seminars
    www.math.ilstu.edu/actuary/prepcourses.html

>I have been using the BPP manuals so how do yours compare to theirs?

I do not comment on other manuals, sorry. My manual is unique, as it has some techniques not presented in other manuals: Poohsticks formulas, Apposite Body Count, David Ricardo formulas.

>I would not pay for any seminar though).

Your employer should. If they do not, you probably do not want to work there.

>...should exam M definitely be taken before C?

No, but mastering M makes passing C easier. On the other hand, M is much harder. The name says so: M stands for the Mother of All Exams.
    C is just Challenging.

>I don't know if exam M is too much new material for me to cover between now and May.

If you are even asking yourself this question, you better start studying today. M = MOAE.

Good luck.
    Yours,
    Krzys'
    Want to know how to pass actuarial exams? Go to: smartURL.it/pass

Comment

Yeah but I don't want to start studying for M and then find out that I didn't pass FM. I think I did pass but I am not positive on which answer I put for a couple problems.

Comment

Studying for exam M

Originally posted by bv12
        Yeah but I don't want to start studying for M and then find out that I didn't pass FM. I think I did pass but I am not positive on which answer I put for a couple problems.
        You will have to learn the material on M anyway, and learning it will often reinforce the concepts from FM, so you almost can't lose by studying M. I would say: start studying M now. You know: if you want to pass actuarial exams, especially M, you can't have a life, you should study all the time.

Yours,
        Krzys'
        Want to know how to pass actuarial exams? Go to: smartURL.it/pass

Comment

That makes sense. I don't think I would need any further studying of the FM material, outside of doing practice questions anyway. I also don't think I put nearly as much time into studying the material as most people do, but exam M does look foreign to me. I will check out your manual on your website. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Working...
          X