Notation in FM/2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notation in FM/2

i recently passed exam p and want to start preparing for exam fm now. i know there is a lot of new notation involved. are all of the study guides (ACTEX/ASM/Broverman/Ostaszewski/...) and textbooks (Kellison/Broverman) consistent with the actual exam on the use of notation?

Notation

Originally posted by TaiwanGuy
    i recently passed exam p and want to start preparing for exam fm now. i know there is a lot of new notation involved. are all of the study guides (ACTEX/ASM/Broverman/Ostaszewski/...) and textbooks (Kellison/Broverman) consistent with the actual exam on the use of notation?
    Yes. Notation is crucial in this field of study. This is indirectly a consequence of actuaries being mathematicians: they adopt the same notation worldwide, not just in study manuals and textbooks for exams. In my manuals, I give formulas and tricks names (e.g., David Ricardo formulae, Poohsticks, Frank Formula, or Apposite Body Count: you will see those only in my manuals) to help remember them, but I would not change any of the notation, it is just too important to be consistent to play with that. I have to warn you though, that the SOA is not enrirely consistent with how duration and convexity are presented in finance, this is why I have written a "Primer on Duration, Convexity and Immunization", jointly with Gajek and Zwiesler, which appeared this year in the Journal of Actuarial Issues, because I am worried that there is so much inconsistency in how these topics are presented in various books.

I hope this helps. All the best.
    Yours,
    Krzys' Ostaszewski
    Want to know how to pass actuarial exams? Go to: smartURL.it/pass

Comment

Working...
    X