Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions About FM exam

Hi, I am just curious about the FM exam. Here is the questions list:
    1. are the questions of interest theory and DM separated? For example, if there are 8 DM questions, will the first 27 be theory of interest and the rest 8 be DM?

2. Also, for pilot questions, are they determined by the SOA before the exam or the computer just randomly pick 5 pilot questions(like lottery)?

3. if SOA pre-determined the pilot questions, will those hard questions have a better chance of being a pilot that those easy questions?

4.Do the DM questions have a better chance of being pilots that theory of interests b/c it is newly added?

I appreciate your answers!
    Last edited by kevinshi2009; August 2 2009, 09:50 PM.

The answer to your first question is no, but I don't think that anyone will be able to answer your other questions.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinshi2009 View Post
      Hi, I am just curious about the FM exam. Here is the questions list:
      1. are the questions of interest theory and DM separated? For example, if there are 8 DM questions, will the first 27 be theory of interest and the rest 8 be DM?

2. Also, for pilot questions, are they determined by the SOA before the exam or the computer just randomly pick 5 pilot questions(like lottery)?

3. if SOA pre-determined the pilot questions, will those hard questions have a better chance of being a pilot that those easy questions?

4.Do the DM questions have a better chance of being pilots that theory of interests b/c it is newly added?

I appreciate your answers!
      1. No, they are randomly mixed.

2. I think SOA sets a numeral pilot questions then computer randomly chooses.

3. Pilot questions are not meant to be hard, just that SOA might wish to change style of asking certain kind of questions, and they wish to know the response from candidates.

4. Not really.
      A&J Study Materials (anjstudymanual.com)

Provides study manuals and questions banks for exam P/1, FM/2 and MFE/3F

Comment

What is a pilot question?

Comment

Originally posted by FSAPlusFCAS View Post
          What is a pilot question?
          It means that there are up to 5 questions on the exam that are not graded but rather are questions that the exam committee is trying out for that sitting to be tested for possible use in future exams.

Comment

Originally posted by Y2A View Post
            It means that there are up to 5 questions on the exam that are not graded but rather are questions that the exam committee is trying out for that sitting to be tested for possible use in future exams.

Which in turn means that they are not random questions. they are particular questions that are being tested for success/difficult/ambiguity measurements to see if they should be included as graded test questions on future exams.

Comment

My suggestion is forget everything you've assumed about pilot questions and approach the exam as 35 real problems. You'll never be able to ascertain which are pilots and which aren't.

Comment

Working...
              X