BA II Plus Professional worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BA II Plus Professional worth it?

I have the TI 30X IIS (the solar/battery with two lines), and I found it excellent for exam P - would purchasing the financial calculator be useful?

Yes. It's useful.
    Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

You should definitely get a financial calculator for Exam FM/2. Texas Instruments discontinued manufacturing the BA-35 last year but it's still on the list of approved calculators. If you can get one, I think it would be fine for the exam. If not, IMO you don't need the Professional model. The BA II Plus would be perfectly OK.
      FSA, MAAA, EA and CEO of Actuarial Study Materials - www.studymanuals.com

Comment

Originally posted by SirVLCIV
        ... would purchasing the financial calculator be useful?
        There are problems on finding the number of payments or getting the interest rate when you have a large number of payments for annuities that is way to tedious to work out without a financial calculator. You must have one!

Comment

Thanks! I'll buy it

Comment

See my comments elsewhere on the BA-II Plus vs. BA-II Plus Professional. (Short version: save yourself the money unless you're going into a field where the Professional model is going to come in handy more than twice a year.)
            "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Comment

wish i had known that a financial calculator would be useful before buying a new one for the exam last week...oh well, what's another 25 bucks when you're throwing around hundreds on exams and study materials?
              Haven't you heard?
              It's a battle of words
              The poster-bearer cried

Comment

Originally posted by bdenyer
                wish i had known that a financial calculator would be useful before buying a new one for the exam last week...oh well, what's another 25 bucks when you're throwing around hundreds on exams and study materials?
                Get the financial calculator. Take 'em both to the exam, use the one you're most comfortable with.
                "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Comment

thanks for the advice, Irish Blues, will do.
                  Haven't you heard?
                  It's a battle of words
                  The poster-bearer cried

Comment

Yeah, it's going to take getting used to this calculator, but I think I'll take both the scientific and financial with me: scientific for routine calculations, financial for anything financial .

Comment

In case anyone is still looking at replies, here's my twosense. Of course you will not NEED a financial calculator (providing you know the annuity formulas by heart and can manipulate them to find out any of the four variables-%i being impossible without Newton's method), but it will be a great help and time saver.
                      I got the BA-II+ as a gift and I foolishly asked them to exchange it for the cheaper BA 35. I was happier with its simplicity. I say foolishly for two reasons. One is that all the study manuals that I came across give calculator notes for the BA-II+ and not for the BA 35 (even though you don't need any help if you have that one). This is annoying and confusing at times. The second reason is that in the long term (think future exams) having the financial functions coupled with the regular scientific ones is a big plus, and if you can learn how to use all the functions on the II+ now, you will have a great advantage down the road. It's better than switching back and forth between two different calculators and copying results from one to another, as I now have to do.
                      BA 35 is more than adequate for FM. Will you need more than it offers down the road? I can't say. I only know that I think it would be easier sometimes. Oh, one more thing, the BA 35 operates functions in the opposite way from usual. To get e^x, first you type the value of x and then hit e^ button. Also to raise to a fractional power takes an ungodly number of steps. To get used to this is no big deal but think about switching back and forth between two calculators on the same test and having to also switch the order of operation. OY!

Comment

Yos9694,

At the SOA website at the following link
                        http://www.soa.org/ccm/content/exams...g11n.enc=UTF-8
                        at the bottom of the page is a pdf file with a summary of
                        eamplse that show how to use the BA-35 calculator.
                        Sam Broverman

[email protected]
                        www.sambroverman.com

Comment

I've gotten the hang of the Time Value of Money tables, for simple annuities, but it's still going to be a little work to get the hang of speeding up the process.

Comment

Practice problems in ASM (through three chapters) are taking me roughly 5-7 minutes each, with a handful easier and a handful harder. My goal is to have it down to an average of 3 by test-time.

Comment

Originally posted by sirvlciv View Post
                              yeah, it's going to take getting used to this calculator, but i think i'll take both the scientific and financial with me: Scientific for routine calculations, financial for anything financial .
                              i am searching too

Comment

Working...
                              X