Banner Ad 1

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Study manuals

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Study manuals

    I have the ASM study manual on order. I'll tell you guys how it is when it comes in
    Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Ken
    I have the ASM study manual on order. I'll tell you guys how it is when it comes in
    I hear it's a good manual. Good explanations, sufficient number of problems, etc.

    My co-worker has the ACTEX for Exam FM. It's not all that bad - much better than the material ACTEX tried to pass off as study materials for the economics and finance for Fall 2004 - Course 2. I think they're better at expressing/explaining the math-based/actuarial material than other subjects (like economics or finance). I'm working through the ACTEX for Exam M now, and it's pretty decent.

    Comment


    • #3
      The ASM manual is great because it has so many practice problems, and I find I learn best doing practice problems. The explanations are also pretty good. I would recommend this book over the Actex book for FM which I have looked over from a friend.
      Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Ken
        The ASM manual is great because it has so many practice problems, and I find I learn best doing practice problems. The explanations are also pretty good. I would recommend this book over the Actex book for FM which I have looked over from a friend.
        I've heard the ASM manual has good explanations. As far as practice problems go, the ACTEX might actually have more problems. Consider that the ACTEX manual has 20 practice tests on the FM material included with the manual. I haven't seen the ASM manual yet, but I'm willing to contend that unless the ASM comes with a substantial Q&A bank separately, the number of practice problems in each manual are similar.

        Comment


        • #5
          Do you know if the ACTEX practice exams are just old exam questions? Or if they are their own problems?

          Thanks

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by smj
            Do you know if the ACTEX practice exams are just old exam questions? Or if they are their own problems?

            Thanks
            No, no ... they make their own questions as well. A significant portion of their practice question bank consists of past SOA exam questions, but I think it's the exception rather than the rule. In fact, the ACTEX tends to have some of the more difficult questions - if you're willing to believe it, I think the practice questions in ACTEX are more difficult than the actual questions that appear on the exams. My motto is "Practice hard, perform easy." I think ACTEX has the right idea about pushing you harder in practice, which makes the exam questions seem a little more routine than otherwise.

            Comment


            • #7
              In that case :

              Looking to buy an ACTEX manual for the 20 tests =).

              Comment

              Working...
              X