Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Study materials for Exam FM in Spring 2007?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Study materials for Exam FM in Spring 2007?

I was going to buy about $290 worth of study materials for Exam FM from actexmadriver, but a sales representitative on the phone said current study materials will not cover all of the material Exam FM in Spring of 2007 will cover. I called SOA and they said new study materials should be available in November of 2006. Could I use current study materials to prepare for Exam FM and use a textbook to learn about the additional topics Exam FM in the spring will test? What textbook or website provides a wealth of information about the additional topics? I am not knowledgeable about the topics Exam FM tests.

Based on my experience from Exam P, it is best to understand all of the "quality questions." In other words, two different quality study guides and a textbook were enough to help me achieve a P on Exam P.

On November 1st, I want to start preparing for Exam FM.

Originally posted by Robert24 View Post
    I was going to buy about $290 worth of study materials for Exam FM from actexmadriver, but a sales representitative on the phone said current study materials will not cover all of the material Exam FM in Spring of 2007 will cover. I called SOA and they said new study materials should be available in November of 2006. Could I use current study materials to prepare for Exam FM and use a textbook to learn about the additional topics Exam FM in the spring will test? What textbook or website provides a wealth of information about the additional topics? I am not knowledgeable about the topics Exam FM tests.

Based on my experience from Exam P, it is best to understand all of the "quality questions." In other words, two different quality study guides and a textbook were enough to help me achieve a P on Exam P.

You could use current manuals to help you study, but the sales rep was right - there is a change happening and it's pretty significant.

If you want to start studying on Nov. 1st, and you want to start with a manual, you should probably see if you can pick up someone else's used manual. If you don't mind starting w/out a manual, just pick up the recommended textbook.

Comment

Spring 2007 exam FM manual

I plan to have my manual for exam FM for Spring 2007 ready within couple of days. It will be marketed by the New England Actuarial Seminars. Full coverage of the entire material and ten practice exams. I will start posting practice exams on the new material at this forum immediately after this November exam FM.

My manual will not cost you $290, but probably in the range of $84.

All the best. Yours,
      Krzys' Ostaszewski

Originally posted by Robert24 View Post

Want to know how to pass actuarial exams? Go to: smartURL.it/pass

Comment

well, i am now using the ACTEX manual to study mainly becuz i used their manual to study for exam P and found it really useful. but i dont like it as much for their FM manual. for example, in the P manual, they have a practice question set right after each section, just focusing on THAT section of material, and you could easily find the "common strategy" for solving a specific type of question related to topics in that particular section. But for the FM manual, they only have those "mixed" sets of practice questions, which give you all kinds of problems from all sections/chapters, it's hard to discover the pattern of the questions, this is the thing I dislike the most.

Comment

FM & P exam dates

Hey

Does anyone know the dates for Exam FM and Exam P in the upcoming year of 2007

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by zenblime View Post
            Hey

Does anyone know the dates for Exam FM and Exam P in the upcoming year of 2007

Thanks
            For exam P, the information is as follows:

http://www.soa.org/ccm/content/exams...-registration/

The registration deadline is Dec 21, 2006.

For exam FM, the exam date will be in May with registration date much earlier; see upcoming new catalog for exams from www.soa.org

ctperng

Comment

Originally posted by ctperng View Post

For exam FM, the exam date will be in May with registration date much earlier; see upcoming new catalog for exams from www.soa.org

ctperng
              I can't seem to find the dates on the SOA site, but CAS posted their
              2007 dates already
              http://www.casact.org/admissions/syl...fm?fa=schedule
              and you can get P, FM and C dates from that.

Yours,
              Krzys'
              Want to know how to pass actuarial exams? Go to: smartURL.it/pass

Comment

Originally posted by ctperng View Post

ctperng
                Are you sure you meant what you wrote? I don't think the registration deadline for the Spring Exam FM would be until March. Or am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by baseballpitcher30 View Post
                  Are you sure you meant what you wrote? I don't think the registration deadline for the Spring Exam FM would be until March. Or am I wrong?
                  Maybe I didn't understand your question. Did I mention the registration deadline? Anyway, this post was before the new catalog, which you can find on

http://www.soa.org/ccm/content/exams...c=UTF-8#spring

You won't see the registration deadlines (at least I didn't find them), however the deadlines can be found on CAS website (which is April 2, as far as I can see):
                  http://www.casact.org/admissions/syl...m?fa=rules-reg

ctperng

Comment

Working...
                  X