What did everyone think of the exam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did everyone think of the exam?

I had to guess on six of them. The exam was still easier than I had anticipated though. That actually makes me nervous because that means it will take more correct answers to pass.

I thought the exam was a lot easier than I anticipated. I was thinking there were going to be really tricky annuity problems. But I didn't think there were. I was done a lot quiker than I thought I was going to be. I was the only one that took it today at my center! I guess we'll have to wait and see. They may post the answers on the SOA website in a few days. There are two things that come with taking an exam, relief and anticipation.

Comment

I echo the sentiments of each of you (there were only four at my test center). I'm hearing from a few others that they thought it was much easier than anticipated, but that is just a handful. Maybe people were just very prepared; who knows.

I'm thinking around 18-20 as the pass score, but I have no idea; I've only taken two of these things.
      act justly. walk humbly. .

Comment

I left feeling pretty confident which should be expected considering how much time I've put into this.
        Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

Maybe they made it easier to increase the pass rate, I did hear a rumor that the SOA wanted a higher pass rate. So maybe the magic 60-70% still holds, and there will be more people that will pass. Who knows, this is only a rumor.

Comment

If it is still in that range then I think the percentage passing could be unprecedented.

AndrewH, did you take two exams this sitting? How was it preparing for two? I wish you the best on passing both of those! If FM went well, I was going to go for C next sitting, since that is the only other test in which I have had any previous experience in terms of coursework. But I think M and C together would be crazy, considering my school has no actuarial science program and essentially all of my preparation for the last two exams has been independent.

We shall see, though.
            act justly. walk humbly. .

Comment

I thought the exam was almost ridiculously easy. I worked and got answers that were one of the choices for every question, and only had to really think about what to do on a couple of them. VEE's are next. I'll be taking Econ and C.F. in August. Anyone have any advice on preparing for the Macro portion? The Wachtel studt notes have no problems of questions to check your understanding of the material.

Comment

Originally posted by grievousangel
                I thought the exam was almost ridiculously easy. I worked and got answers that were one of the choices for every question, and only had to really think about what to do on a couple of them. VEE's are next. I'll be taking Econ and C.F. in August. Anyone have any advice on preparing for the Macro portion? The Wachtel studt notes have no problems of questions to check your understanding of the material.
                It's a pretty bad source of information. At best, it's disorganized. Check out actuarialbookstore.com.

Comment

I thought the exam was easier than expected as well. I think I guessed on about 6 at the end, so I'm hoping that the pass mark does fall right around that 18-20 range. I am also worried that the pass mark will be higher due to the simplicity of the exam, but if they want to pass more people, maybe they will try to keep it around 60%.

Comment

I'm in agreement. I'm worried that it was too easy and that the pass mark is going to be very high.

Comment

A bit too easy

There were 81 people at my exam center
                      Many people said they were almost done after 1 hour.
                      There better be a high pass rate, else soa .
                      I thought early exams were to weed people out
                      No weeding here
                      Last edited by admin; May 26 2005, 10:17 PM. Reason: inappropriate word

Comment

I echo the sentiments. Exam was a piece of cake. Even easier than Exam P the morning before.

I "guessed" on one. I wasn't exactly sure how to solve a problem, but I wound up with an answer there (hah). The other 24 i felt confident about. Finished the exam in about an hour. Took a restroom/stretch break - then redid them all. Found 2 errors.

Couldn't have been any easier.

Comment

5 questions gave me some grief. After checking the answer key, I got only 1 of them wrong.

Comment

I guessed one, got it wrong. And I could not remember all my answers and so far I only found 2 errors. I hope those are all the questions that I got wrong.

Comment

19-20 passing score

I think the cutoff questios would be around 19-20 as you can see most of the students have just a couple of questions wrong. Moreover if the passing score is 16-17 soa would probably have to pass more than 70% candidates which is highly unkikely. Anyways, we'll find out on July 8th ...good luck guys.....and good luck on your internships.

Comment

Working...
                              X