Kellison vs. Broverman - newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kellison vs. Broverman - newbie

I decided late in the game to study for the actuarial exams - I sat 1/P in May, and will do 2/FM in the fall (with 1/P again if necessary - I believe I can do that?).

I have never taken courses in finance or investments, but have a solid math background. I do feel that I need a textbook as well as a study manual (I'm leaning toward Actex, but could be pursuaded otherwise..any opinions??), but I have seen nothing but negative reviews of both Kellison and Broverman (the two books recommended by the SOA).

Can any of you shed some light on the differences, pros/cons of these texts with the knowledge that I have to learn the material as well as study it?

The negatives I have heard about Kellison: hard to get through, too many extraneous equations/information, simple examples that don't connect to the difficult/complex/hard-to-interpret problems

Negatives about Broverman: doesn't cover all the material thoroughly enough, is a good supplementary text but not primary text..

I'd appreciate any help - I'd like to place my orders (for text book *and* study manuals) in the next week or so!

Originally posted by crayolaab
    Negatives about Broverman: doesn't cover all the material thoroughly enough, is a good supplementary text but not primary text..
    The Broverman text is a very thorough treatment of the theory of interest. It also contains a large number of worked examples and end-of-chapter exercises. The text includes the use of modern calculators in the application of many of the exercises.

If you wish to view a Table of Contents and a more detailed summary of the text, please click on the following link: http://www.actexmadriver.com/productdetails.cfm?PC=321
    Sandi Lynn Scherer
    ACTEX Publications

Comment

With regard to selecting an Exam FM/2 manual, make sure you look at the descriptions and the excerpts from the various manuals on the relevant web sites. You can find three excerpts and one complete 25-question original exam from my manual (the ASM manual) on the web site www.studymanuals.com.
      Last edited by admin; September 14 2005, 03:22 PM.
      FSA, MAAA, EA and CEO of Actuarial Study Materials - www.studymanuals.com

Comment

Working...
      X