Taking exam 1 and 2 concurrently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking exam 1 and 2 concurrently

Has anyone taken exams 1 and 2 concurrently? How difficult is it to do so? Do you really need to study 400 hours for each exam? That seems a bit excessive, but having not taken either exam I could be wrong.

Originally posted by LRK
    Has anyone taken exams 1 and 2 concurrently? How difficult is it to do so? Do you really need to study 400 hours for each exam? That seems a bit excessive, but having not taken either exam I could be wrong.
    A fair number of people try it. Is it doable? Sure.

The rule of thumb is that for every hour of the actual test, you study 100 hours. That translates to a total of 500 hours study for Exams P/1 and FM/2. I've heard of many people studying less than that number and passing the exam. It will be up to you how you feel about the material once you're done studying.

Go ahead and start studying for both, if you'd like to try. Then, if you don't feel that you can pass both, just don't sit for one of the exams - you'll get a partial refund.

Comment

Isn't this discussion purely theoretical now? P and FM are no longer offered at the same time (P in september and FM in november).

Comment

I took them both together this may. I feel i did fine on both. Studied off and on for 2 months - no idea how much real time was spent - but 300ish I would guess. I'll find out friday for sure. I used ASM manuals for both and felt fine.

Comment

Originally posted by smj
          I took them both together this may. I feel i did fine on both. Studied off and on for 2 months - no idea how much real time was spent - but 300ish I would guess. I'll find out friday for sure. I used ASM manuals for both and felt fine.

it would be great if u could tell us the results.. i was thinking of attempting it too and was hoping for some pointers from you...

Comment

I'll remember to post results. I definitely overstudied for exam 2 (but only because the exam was so cheese this round). I finished in 40ish minutes - was able to solve each problem 3 times.

The ASM manual for exam 2 was perfect. I glanced at kellison's a few times here and there - but not really at all (mostly just for the new material).

The ASM manual for exam 1 i augmented with some practice problems from some random stats books because there wasn't an insane number of practice problems (as there are in ASM exam 2).

The length of the exam 2 study guide (from all the practice problems) really makes you know it well. I did every problem in the book once - and felt completely prepared.

Comment

It's official - passed both 1 and 2.

Comment

Originally posted by smj
                Congratulations!

Comment

Oh yeah

Originally posted by smj
                  Right there with ya ;-)

Comment

We'll,

I've run my own ebay/gaming type business for 6ish years now so I really do have all the free time in the world - just a matter of not procrastinating!

Comment

RE : Taking both together

I bet it depends on the method u study?
                      I dun suggest u study FM before u do P, as FM just playing with "a" and "s" for the first half study...very boring...trust me
                      P more challenging, interesting problems.
                      btw, I took FM and P this may and passed...going to take M and C togehter this Nov..anyone taking M or C this Nov?
                      Tim

Comment

Congrats on the all those who have passed. I would love if you guys could offer some pointers like average hrs of study, study manuals used, and any other tips you have. I would sincerely appreciate it and I am sure other will too.

Comment

Do every problem you can get your hands on until you can get the answer without looking (or memorizing the answer). You should be able to pass no problem. For me, I went through the 100 sample questions twice and I also went through all the probability problems from an old actex manual. Just grind out problem after problem and solving them will soon become second nature. You will soon recognize the traps and tricks and problems will become easy

Comment

'''.. ok Thanks a million, I was expecting that style to be the one I should use and I guess it turned out right...Thanks a million for reassuring me..

Comment

Brian, there are older Actex manuals on reserve at the Ugli Science Library.
                              Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

Working...
                              X