ASM and Series Expansions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASM and Series Expansions

I have the ASM 5th edition. I am curious if the current 7th edition has a section about 1f (about page 40): "Some Series You should know (and a trap to avoid)". It starts with the series expansions of e^x and ln(1+x) and then It describes how to define delta, i and d as series in terms of each other.

I'm just wondering...is this covered in the 7th edition? I don't see many prior exam problems relating to this.
    There ain't no easy way out.

-Tom Petty

Yes ASM ed 7 has that as well. I also have never seen it used in any of the questions that I've completed. I personally am not going to worry about it because it looks way to exotic to be used more than once, if at all, on a test. Honestly, to me anyway, its use looks extremely limited.

Comment

Series Expansions

Thanks. I agree that most likely it will not appear on the exam. But, with my luck it will be on my exam (especially if I don't study it!). I remember this from Calc 3-it's realy just learning the two infinite series and then manipulating them to represent i, d, and delta. I spent the last 2 days practicing them. I was just wondering if I was doing it for nothing....Apparently not, since it's in the current edition as well.

-Tom Petty

Comment

And, for what it's worth, it helped me with learning the equalities: e^-delta=v=1-d and delta=-ln(1-d).

-Tom Petty

Comment

just try to memorize e^x and ln(1+x),
          dont worry about all others,
          you can derive them easily,

Comment

Working...
          X