Worried about Prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worried about Prep

I have studied all of the material - done all practice problems - am nearly finished working my way through the Actex study manual (reviewing my handmade flashcards on the tube every day, doing problems & making flashcards at night).

I will be doing a full, timed practice exam from the manual tomorrow once I finish the last review section in the manual and am really hoping that gives me some more confidence.

Has anyone sat this exam before, can you give me any advice? Any tips? I know it is important to know all of the formulas, but I believe it is important to really understand the concepts as well - is that true, or am I wasting time by trying to *really understand* everything?

Also - I have looked on the SOA website but can't find where it says exactly how many problems there will be in the 2-hour exam space. I thought I remember reading that there are about 30, but I could be mistaken. Sorry if this is an obvious answer, I truly have looked for it but seem to be looking in the wrong places!

Is anyone else in the last-minute panicking stage?? It doesn't help that work has been hellish this week - worked 11 hours (no lunch break) yesterday, and next week is looking bad as well.. I've booked a few days off next week which I hope will help.

There were 25 questions in May, the first FM offering. You seem like you're pretty prepared . . . one thing I would suggest is that if you don't immediatley know how to do a question or within the first 15 seconds, skip it and come back. I think I had answered 16 of the 25 the first time through. Came back the second time, had about 21 answered. Then on my last run through, I double checked some answered, and finished up with being pretty sure about 22 of them, so it pays to double check, especially in this short time allotted.

I wish you the best!
    Last edited by .Godspeed.; October 28 2005, 05:15 PM.
    act justly. walk humbly. .

Comment

It sounds like you've prepared yourself just fine. Now try to relax, too much anxiety can ruin you on exam day.

Understanding the concepts is an important principle may people overlook. It is very likely you will see a few problems that you won't recognize immediately and having a good understanding of the basic principles and not just a memorization of the formulas will save you on those. Memorizing the formulas and really knowing how to work your calculator will allow you to speedily get through the questions you recognize right off.

You should be fine, relax and good luck.

Comment

Thanks .. that's another thing I am really working on this weekend, is learning how to use my calculator more efficiently. I read the manual and Broverman's guide to using the BAII+ and I am amazed at how much it can do that I didn't realise!

Comment

Originally posted by crayolaab
          (reviewing my handmade flashcards on the tube every day, doing problems & making flashcards at night).
          By reviewing on the tube, does that mean you're watching TV while you review your flashcards? I like that idea.
          Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken
            By reviewing on the tube, does that mean you're watching TV while you review your flashcards? I like that idea.
            LOL - sorry, no, although that would be entertaining. Tube = London underground (public transportation). I have an hour's commute to/from work each way.. it's so packed there is no way I could work problems, but I can usually manage to flip through flashcards

Comment

LOL - sorry, no, although that would be entertaining. Tube = London underground (public transportation). I have an hour's commute to/from work each way.. it's so packed there is no way I could work problems, but I can usually manage to flip through flashcards
              That works pretty well.

For the first 4 exams, the main point is to just keep doing practice problems. Don't stop. Until you're able to do the problems in your sleep, don't stop.

Comment

Originally posted by wat
                That works pretty well.

For the first 4 exams, the main point is to just keep doing practice problems. Don't stop. Until you're able to do the problems in your sleep, don't stop.
                I've been dreaming equations/problems .. it's driving me batty.

That's good to know - I feel like the time spent reviewing equations isn't that useful to me..

Comment

I've been dreaming equations/problems .. it's driving me batty.

That's good to know - I feel like the time spent reviewing equations isn't that useful to me..
                  It will when you're sitting down with the Exam on Nov. 9th and you're able to rattle off formulas confidently. I can't stress that enough. Confidence is the key to getting through the exam. Just keep reviewing until the stuff is second-nature to you.

Comment

Working...
                  X