This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice plz

Unfortunately, I could not pass the September exam P with score 5.
    I have been using Actex and ASM study guides for course P to prepare the exam, but these textbook did not yield successful result.
    Guys, Can you recommend any textbook or study guide to pass the exam? I really appreciate your time.

Thank you

The way I passed Exam P was to do as many practice problems as possible. Make sure to work all the practice problems released by the SOA. It also sounds like you have two study manuals so do all the practice problems and tests in those. Don't hesitate to do the problems multiple times.

Comment

I didn't do so hot my first time either, but then I purchased a BPP manual on www.bpp.com called "Probability - An Introductory Guide for Actuaries and other Business Professionals". It came with end of chapter questions and 250 exam style questions. It's about 9 chapters, and I did a chapter a week, taking notes, making flashcards, and doing the problems at the end, and the second time around I passed with a really good score. You might want to check it out. Good luck...

Comment

Originally posted by KIN
        Unfortunately, I could not pass the September exam P with score 5.
        I have been using Actex and ASM study guides for course P to prepare the exam, but these textbook did not yield successful result.
        Guys, Can you recommend any textbook or study guide to pass the exam? I really appreciate your time.

Thank you
        I would just practice more and not buy anymore guides. Do problems under exam-like conditions, so you learn to work under time pressure.

Comment

Have you used a real textbook or just a study guide? The way I passed the exams is by learning the statistics as opposed to learning how to solve the problems.

Comment

the preparation that i did for exam p was (in this order):

1. i reviewed my entire calculus book.
            2. i reviewed the probability portion (first 3 chapters) of my "mathematical
            statistics" textbook by hogg and craig. it is a great book in my opinion,
            but it is just straight math, no application at all.
            3. downloaded the 120 sample questions from beanactuary.com and started
            working though them.
            4. did those sample problems over and over until i practically had them
            memorized.

the first time i took the test i only did about 80 practice problems and i didn't review calculus. that resulted in a pitiful grade 3. the second time, i did the things above and got a 10.

Comment

Working...
            X