Scores from Actex 2007 practice exams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scores from Actex 2007 practice exams

Here are my scores from 5 of the 2007 Actex (Broverman edition) study manual. All of them were timed for 3 hrs so once the 3 hrs were up I randomly guessed on anything I didn't have. I have studied alot for this exam but the time factor is a pain. I go over anything I guessed on and/or got wrong. I think my scores are pretty low and am just wondering what kinds of scores everyone else is getting on these things because I just don't know who else to ask:

Practice Exam 1: 21/30 = 70%
    Practice Exam 2: 13/30 = 43.3%
    Practice Exam 3: 14/30 = 46.7%
    Practice Exam 4: 17/30 = 56.7%
    Practice Exam 5: 21/30 = 70%

I still have 2 more practice exams in the study manual to do and need to do SOA 140 so that should keep me busy with problems until exam time.

This may be useful..
    http://www.casact.org/admissions/stu...Exam_1pass.pdf

it tell you a 6 is ~63% of questions correct. If you take into account problems you get an answer for but are wrong, you should be able to get through the whole exam in less than 3 hours. I don't want to scare you or anything, but since i was an Act Sci major, that is just what i've gathered from all my fellow students taking the exam.

i would suggest to do the SOA 140 over and over. Maybe not all, but keep doing it till you can do it in your sleep lol. Also, go to
    http://www.soa.org/education/exam-re...oice-exam.aspx
    and check out past exams. A lot of problem are the same or similar to the SOA 140 but they are in exam formats. There are 5 total! Get to know these problems!

Comment

I have Actex 2006. Here are my practice exam scores before I took the test:

12/30
      14/30
      19/30
      11/30
      10/30

The actual test I failed miserably. I scored a zero.

Here are my practice exam scores this time:

13/30
      17/30
      18/30
      20/30
      13/30

I hope to consistently score in the 20's before I think I'm ready. Even at that point I still probably won't pass. The actual test for me was so much harder than the practice exams. I'm a terrible test-taker though. I get nervous and can't think clearly and make stupid mistakes. I'm sure you'll pass before I do. Best of luck!

Comment

bookyjoo, i suggest you to do more practice questions to boost your confidence level. I feel that the 500 BPP questions are quite useful as a practice. Have trust in yourself, believe you can do it! work hard!

Comment

Well I finished doing the last two practice exams of Actex and did the first 60 problems of the SOA 140. results so far:

Practice Exam 6: 17/30 = 56.7%
          Practice Exam 7: 18/30 = 60%
          SOA 140 (1-30): 23/30 = 76.7%
          SOA 140 (31-60): 23/30 = 76.7%

I'm just wondering if anyone got these types of grades going in and passed.

Comment

Originally posted by Y2A View Post
            Well I finished doing the last two practice exams of Actex and did the first 60 problems of the SOA 140. results so far:

Well, I did all of the tests in the ACTEX manual and all of the SOA 140 (in fact did the complete SOA 140 in a 2 day sitting). I did very poor on the final ACTEX test. I actually just gave up in frusteration b/c I couldn't do half of the problems.

Ok, well I did pass. I'm pretty sure I scored in the 7-9 area, I was confident when I clicked submit. Here were my results / procedures:

Procedure: If I took an ACTEX practice exam, I would mark check, OK, or NO for each question. Check means I got it right, OK means I understood (like set up the integral right but didnt do the process right) and NO means I could never get it right based on my knowledge. I did not take the exams under exam procedure. I did time it, but gave myself only one chance to do the problem (At which point I would check the answer and give the problem a check, OK, or NO.) Ok, so the weighted scoring of the exams:

Check: 90% of those, b/c u will miss about 10% of these during an exam under pressure do to a silly silly mistake.
            OK: 66% of these, b/c u will probably be able to "work thru" this type of problem given you have 10 or 12 minutes to do the problem.
            NO: 20% of these, b/c of random guessing probability.

First I did every problem set at the end of the chapters in ACTEX, some twice. Then did every practice exam twice, expect #6 once, and not at all #7. If it was my second time taking the same practice test, I waited at least 2 weeks before a retry. My results (weighted score, for which the highest is 90%):

Exam 1: 69%, then 79.88%
            Exam 2: 69.77%, then 78.4%
            Exam 3: 70.55%, then 80.7%
            Exam 4: 69.77%, then 72.88%
            Exam 5: 68.2%, then 72.11%
            Exam 6: 70.55%

Then, about 4 days before my exam, I did the entire SOA 140. At this point, I was pretty ready, but I was just brushing up. I only missed 4 out of the first 60 on the first try. I ended up missing 20 total. I revisited the 20 the day before the test, and got 13 of them. So there were still 7 I couldn't do and I said oh well.

Keep in mind the SOA 140 came easy for me b/c many are repeats from ACTEX (well ACTEX steals them from the SOA 140), so for some I knew the answer w/o doing work.

I do think that the formula I stated above is VERY helpful, and mimicked a real exam. I probably got 90% of the "check" ones. As for the OK, I was able to come back to the them later in the exam and got about 2/3 of them. And there were still a few "NO's" at the end of the exam that I could have guessed right.

I used my formula for the REAL exam (slightly altered w/ only 50% for OK's, where I was between 2 answers or not confident) and scored 23 checks, 4 OKs, and 3 NOs. Saw what my weighted score was, felt confident, and clicked submit. Knew I was fine.

***Y2A***
            I believe your score on exam7 in very promising, but you need to understand @ least 125 of the 140 SOA problems in order to feel confident. The SOA 140 is the best representation of a real exam. It may be on the easy side at times, but it has almost all of the concepts you will probably face. Good luck - when do you take the test?

Comment

I take it tomorrow at noon. I did the entire SOA 140 and did ok taking 30 at a time with like high 70s low 80s percentage scores. the last 20 questions killed me though and i didn't do extremely well on some of the joint distributions questions. I don't know, tomorrow could go great or it could be a disaster I guess I will just have to wait to find out.

Comment

I just passed! So happy right now '''' yeah.

Comment

I just passed! So happy right now '''' yeah.
                  hey good job

I am doing slightly better than you on SOA.

I think almost 90% on first 60 questions.

I do not have ACTEX but getting 23~24 out of 30's on TIA exams.

still very nervous...

wish me luck. mine's on Thursday... epressed:

Comment

you did really good on exam 7. I gave up half way too. It's so hard. I guess I'm not ready, but my exam is tomorrow morning.

Comment

Working...
                    X