Job b4 I pass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job b4 I pass

Hey all. I am a graduate with a math degree and am working as a waiter in a country club. I have yet to pass an actuary exam, but I should pass in May (knock on wooden). Are there any entry level jobs in the actuarial field that I could get to kind of get me in the door, so that when I do pass a few exams, my resume has something other than "waiter" on it?

I don't know if you mean something like an internship, those are available periodically at company headquarters (see Sentry Insurance). They don't pay much, but it's a start and they would encourage exam development, you could almost consider it an extra semester of college. But that also depends on where you live or if you're willing to pack light and be mobile. If I could do it over again (read: if I were younger and without a mortgage) I'd do it. I'm finding one exam doesn't particularly open a whole lot of doors for me, I'm going to keep at it until I catch someone's attention. After FM in a couple weeks, I'll apply for the VEE credit and focus on how to approach MFE and MLC.

Comment

Originally posted by bookyjoo View Post
      Hey all. I am a graduate with a math degree and am working as a waiter in a country club. I have yet to pass an actuary exam, but I should pass in May (knock on wooden). Are there any entry level jobs in the actuarial field that I could get to kind of get me in the door, so that when I do pass a few exams, my resume has something other than "waiter" on it?
      Agree with what the poster above me said. If you are looking for an internship, it's OK not to have an exam passed. If you are looking for FT, best of luck to you. There's people on this board with anywhere from 1-4 exams passed who can't find a FT job.

Comment

hmm, do yall think it would be more difficult for someone who has been out of school for a while to find an internship? i already have a ''''py salary, and i can bartend a couple of nights a week to make up for a low salary, so thats no big deal for me.
        also, do you think that it internships are willing to look at relocators? i certainly dont have a mortage, and was thinking i would have to move to find an actuary job anyways.
        i suppose the best place to find an internship would be on insurance company websites?

Comment

My guess is you'd have to go to each company's website to find out. I grew up by Sentry Insurance, that's the only reason I referenced them. According to their website, they put you up in corporate "dorms", if you will, so I don't think there would be much need to earn a whole lot of dough while you're there. I think the most important facet is that you'd be willing to relocate. I moved around a little after college and had the time of my life, wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

I don't know if recent college grads would get preferential treatment, but it never hurts to try.

http://www.beanactuary.org/find/interns.cfm
          Last edited by jimbeauxk; April 25 2009, 12:32 AM. Reason: added link

Comment

yes, before reading this thread, i really hadnt even considered an internship. just because i only think of students as being interns. but i just made an agn profile on this web page www.actuary.com/agnform.htm
            and found this: http://www.soa.org/careers/atp/actua...g-program.aspx

cool! i just dont know about living in a dorm again. i have 2 cats, and noone to leave them with if i cant take them with me.

Comment

Thanks for the links. Looks like a lot of the internships require or at least prefer an exam.

Comment

Working...
              X