This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Exam P Survival Guide

Which among these 4 study guides did you use to pass Exam P?
    What makes it the best among the rest?
    ASM Study Manual
    23.53%
    BPP Study Materials
    11.76%
    Ramanathan's Study Guide
    11.76%
    ACTEX Study Manual
    52.94%

The poll is expired.

Please guys, I really need your participation

Comment

I am interested in reply's here as well. I am just a math major so.. no actual actuarial classes or test prep work and I think I'm leaning towards the ASM manual becuase it looks more in depth and I see that the Dr. that wrote it posts on this website as well.
      Last edited by e-rock; December 12 2005, 05:44 PM.

Comment

The only book I used was Sheldon Ross's Introduction to Probability, but I figured that wouldn't be helpful.
        Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

Of course, I can only comment on which manual I used, so I don't know how the other manuals are. However, when I took Course 1 just last November, I was in a probability class and used Actex, written by Broverman. I thought he had clear explanations of topics, but at the end of each section he had several problems to do. I also thought it was kind of like a "practice hard, play easier" with his manual, since his questions can be quite challenging relative to the actual test. He also had several practice exams with even more problems. I thought that working through and understanding as many problems as I could served as a very solid preparation.

Also note that he himself posts practice problems for Exam P on this forum, so he seems quite easily accesible in answering any questions you may have.
          act justly. walk humbly. .

Comment

Would it be helpful if you will supplement a manual with a book, or vice versa, or are you just spending too much?

Comment

Originally posted by roy14
              Would it be helpful if you will supplement a manual with a book, or vice versa, or are you just spending too much?
              If you've had a class in calculus-based probability that covered the majority of the topics on Exam P (the topics you could find on the SOA website), then I'm not sure if a textbook is absolutely necessary. However, if you're not understanding the things you read in a study manual (which sometimes assumes you already have familiarity with a topic) because you had no background, then maybe a textbook would help.
              act justly. walk humbly. .

Comment

I used just Actex. I liked it. I thought that it really prepared me well.

Comment

With the wide selection of textbooks for Exam P review, would you suggest buying a manual than buying a textbook?

Comment

Working...
                  X