Banner Ad 1

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exam P in July: To take or not to take..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exam P in July: To take or not to take..

Hi all, I am wondering if it is worth my time studying for exam P in July. I am going to be a Junior in fall and I have taken the calc sequence (along with diff. eqs and linear algebra), but have not yet taken probability (I am taking probability in the coming fall semester). I will probably study around 5 hours a day until the exam (I am not doing much else over the summer and I could theoretically study longer everyday). The question is: do I have enough time to learn the required probability, brush up on calc, and go through a boat load of problems before mid-July? I could also take it mid-September, but I will be in the middle of a new semester. My other option is taking exam FM in august (but I am also taking an intro finance course in fall).

What do you guys think?--should I dive in and cram hard for exam P in July or wait a month and take FM?...or wait longer and take the tests either in September or later?

Also, if I learn probability, I will probably get the ASM manual and some other resource materials, which I hope will be enough for learning the material.

i just took my exam yesterday and passed. my finals went on until the end of april, so i only had 3 weeks of studying to get in before the exam. it's possible if you really sit down and study everyday. i studied for about 6-7 hours everyday and longer the few days leading up to it.

i did however, have some prior knowledge so that helped alot. have you taken multivariate calculus (aka calc III)? if so i'd say it's possible, if not, i think it's a lot to learn.

Comment

Yeah I have taken calc 3, but right now I am thinking exam FM in August is a safer bet, considering that I might invest in TIA and ASM, which would be expensive and seem to be what the forums recommend the most. If I studied for probability, I could get in around 150-170 hours (assuming around 5 hours a day). If I studied for FM, I could get in around 300 hours.
      CJ2011
      Actuary.com - Newbie Poster
      Last edited by CJ2011; May 22 2009, 02:12 PM.

Comment

You're a junior, you have time. It's better for you to take your time and make sure you have a complete grasp of the knowledge than try to rush it and get a passing grade.

Your passing grade should be a consequence of the expertise and in-depth knowledge you gain over the material. Not a badge you get for breaking your back.

Since you can't work full-time anyways until you graduate, and the likelihood of you grabbing a summer internship this late in the game is pretty narrow... I'd settle into a more comfortable study routine than the one you're planning right now.

Comment

Working...
        X