Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exam P - Integrals to memorize

0123456789 - 1
    Last edited by drparliament; December 11 2009, 10:11 PM.

I took the exam 2 times. On my first test, it was a third integrals, some double, one triple. It had radicals in the denominator, e raised to some power, and x or y invloved in the limit. It was tough, and every problem took forever to do because they wanted the expected value. So, you need E(X^2) and E(X)^2. So, it was horrible. This last exam, I only had 3 integral questions. One had a radical in the denominator, and one had an x-1 or something like that as one of the limits. It was not hard. So, you never know what you are going to get. Try some integral problems and then look to see where your weak spots are. Also, learn as many shortcuts as you can. Some questions do not ask you to solve the integral, just how to set up the answer.

Comment

You shouldn't memorize any integrals. Going into P you should be able to recognize pdfs which might make integration easier i.e. integral(x^5 * e^(-2x) dx from 0 to infinity) should be easy enough to do since that's a variation of the 5th moment of an exponential (with what parameter?) or you can use tabular integration but memorizing integrals? These are actuarial exams not your high school AP calc one You should be able to quickly work any integral given. Now having said that they shouldn't give you trig integrals or anything that needs to be solved using trig subst. But integration by parts or even simpler subst. you should know like the back of your hand.

Comment

0123456789 - 2
        Last edited by drparliament; December 11 2009, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X