X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NoMoreExams
    replied
    Originally posted by jimbeauxk View Post
    Mathaholic, you're not alone in asking these things, every round of exams gets a slew of the same questions. Once you've put some time into it you'll see what I mean.

With that said, NoMoreExams is correct. You don't have to dig very hard to find more insights than you care to count. As you begin to make progress through the exams, you'll realize that your success will rely on your ability to do some fundamental research on your own.

Do whatever you need to do to prepare for the exams. There is no secret shortcut. Get a manual, master the topics on the SOA syllabus, and work problems until you are blue in the face.
    Holy '''' someone gets it! The bolded part is VERY, VERY, VERY (did I mention very?) important. Not just when it comes to studying for exams but in your everyday work as an actuary. Not everything you get will be a process handed down from an analyst that used to do it before you. Some things you will have to figure out how to do on your own. Sometimes even an existing process will need to get updated or will have some new terms that YOU will have to figure out how to make work. Learn early that you need to learn how to do research efficiently. Sometimes, coming on a board like this or AO and asking questions is the best way (for me early on it was the path almost always) but always search if a similar question has been asked before. It almost surely has when it comes to exams or early questions regarding the career.

Leave a comment:

• jimbeauxk
    replied
    Mathaholic, you're not alone in asking these things, every round of exams gets a slew of the same questions. Once you've put some time into it you'll see what I mean.

With that said, NoMoreExams is correct. You don't have to dig very hard to find more insights than you care to count. As you begin to make progress through the exams, you'll realize that your success will rely on your ability to do some fundamental research on your own.

Do whatever you need to do to prepare for the exams. There is no secret shortcut. Get a manual, master the topics on the SOA syllabus, and work problems until you are blue in the face.

Leave a comment:

• nostalgiajesskang
    replied
    Consider getting a manual. :smiloe:

Leave a comment:

• NoMoreExams
    replied
    Have you read the ... few... threads on these topics already?

Leave a comment:

• Mathaholic
    started a topic First Timer - Need Some Advice about 1/P

First Timer - Need Some Advice about 1/P

Nevermind!
    Last edited by Mathaholic; June 21 2009, 10:46 PM.
Working...
X