This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which resources to use?

I am looking for some advice on resources. Have worked through first three chapters of Bean's "Probability: The Science of Uncertainty" and it seems a little disjointed with few e.g.'s, and the terminology does not always match the sample SOA questions.

Which book would people recommend? Have just ordered "ASM Study Manual for Exam P" from ACTEX, which seemed to be more suited and based on the exam materials.

Do others find that the ACTEX books are usually the best resource?

Thanks for your help.
    Proper prior planning prevents poor performance!

I used Ross's Intro to Probability book for this exam. I've looked at the ACTEX book for Course 2 and didn't really like the way the book was set up. I liked the way ASM was for the same exam, but since the authors are different from exam to exam, I wouldn't make a general assumption about brand names.

Coach K, a frequent poster here has a good book out, from what I hear.
    Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

Originally posted by mallkins
      Which book would people recommend? Have just ordered "ASM Study Manual for Exam P" from ACTEX, which seemed to be more suited and based on the exam materials.
      I am the author of the ASM Manual for exam P and I want to thank you for your decision to use it. If I may, I would like to caution you that the practice examinations 1 through 5 are intentionally easier than practice examinations 6 and 7. The last two are meant to push you to study harder, because you never know how hard the real exam will get. Detailed solutions are provided at the end of each practice exam, so do be brave for practice exams 6 and 7, and use the solutions. If 6 and 7 seem easy to you, you are ready for the real exam, no doubt about that. The next edition will have one more hard exam, which I will give as a practice examination in the review I run at Illinois State University in January.

Good luck with your studies. Get a 10!

Yours,
      Krzys'
      Want to know how to pass actuarial exams? Go to: smartURL.it/pass

Comment

Hi Krzys

Just received your book and it looks great. Thanks very much.

Miles
        Proper prior planning prevents poor performance!

Comment

Working...
        X